Flood Arrrhhhh!!!

fishermon

I went out today for about 3 hrs, and when I came home my hardwood floor & rugs were soaked!
I have a coralife super skimmer draining it into a 1/2 jug & it overflowed.
I checked it this morning & it was fine.
My pumps were running dry. About 5 gallons of water went out. Good thing I keep some premixed on hand. I have a carpet cleaner & extracted all I could from my rugs, and went out to buy some fans to help dry them.
Does anyone else use a hose on the drain valve going to a reservoir for their skimmers?
I unhooked my hose & replaced it with the plug that came with it. I figure if it goes nuts again at least it will go into the wet/dry-right?
Has anyone else had a coralife super/needle wheel go nuts on them like that?
WHY?
I guess it could be worse. I read a post yesterday where a lr broke the bottom glass on a 90g. My deepest sympathies go out for that gentleman.

acrylic51

Sorry about your misfortune.....but did you change, adjust something with the skimmer or tank? Did anything happen inside the tank as well? Something made it go nuts I'd look the skimmer over close if this hasn't happened before......
As far as your idea of dumping back into the sump???
I'm not sure, but at least it won't be on the floor, but which in the end will cost more to replace????

I had a coralife skimmer flood on me before. They skim well but are known to flood as HOB skimmers. I would highly recomend them as in sump skimmers in case of flooding.
I have searched this before and found other hobbyists to have the same problem. Good luck in the future.

hammerhed7

my CSS overflowed so many times I lost count, and it would happen randomly with no warning, I had mine in my sump so it wasnt a problem but I would never trust one as a HOB.

D

dennis210

Hey I have seen this happen alot, usually with the small version though. If you set the skimmer to run at the recomended level - just into the throat where it necks down, they usually run great. When you add top off water, or supplements though they must be turned down becuase the change in water chemistry makes them skim more. After a bit they can be reset. I find "white out" to be great to make a mark where I want to run it, and then after turning it down with additions I can just turn it to the mark!

alyssia

Originally Posted by Hammerhed7
http:///forum/post/2489143
my CSS overflowed so many times I lost count, and it would happen randomly with no warning, I had mine in my sump so it wasnt a problem but I would never trust one as a HOB.
Mine overflows alot also, for seemingly no reason. It is a major pain because I don't have a sump to put it in.

tjone752000

Originally Posted by Dennis210
http:///forum/post/2489200
Hey I have seen this happen alot, usually with the small version though. If you set the skimmer to run at the recomended level - just into the throat where it necks down, they usually run great. When you add top off water, or supplements though they must be turned down becuase the change in water chemistry makes them skim more. After a bit they can be reset. I find "white out" to be great to make a mark where I want to run it, and then after turning it down with additions I can just turn it to the mark!
you said it exactly Dennis 210. Mine is in the sump right now because all of the floods.Now if it overflows it overflows into the sump.

sharkbait9

if you add anyting to the water they go nucking futs (figure it out) Mine would go nuts after feeding DT, pellets and frozen.
They are best kept at the lowest setting and off when you feed.
Mine would flood out all the time too. One of the misfortunes of the CSS as a hot skimmer.