Flooding solutions

beckzilla

As i have been setting up my new tank, overflowing from a power outage has been a concern. Check valves on the return lines is definitely a good insurance policy. I did an extensive search for check valves and finally found good quality ones. I received them today and i am impressed. If anybody is interested please email and i will give you all the info.

birdy

I was going to put check valves on my new tank, but all the information I looked up on them said that most check valves will eventually fail due to salt and junk build up. I just made sure on my tank that the water would not overflow during a power outage, my sump can hold all the overflow water until the siphon breaks on my return plumbing. I hope they work for you though.

beckzilla

Birdy, that is part of the reason i bought them because they are all plastic (made in Germany) and super easy to clean. The end cap just screws off and the actual valve is 1 piece. I am attaching a pic.

elfdoctors

Many tanks with sumps allow the water to flow downwards by gravity and then a pump pushes the water back to the tank. There is usually a siphon in the connecting tubes. If the power goes out, then water will only flow downward and potentially flood when the sump overflows.