floor reinforcing and tank ideas

poetassium

Me and my wife bought a 1948 Denison home, full basement, basement walls are made from block. The current location I have picked out for the future tank is near the outside wall but this is near a window. The window is dual pane. I am thinking the tank will be 75 + gal I really want 125 or 150 gal. As of now I am drilling into the basement to put the sump, fuge, skimmer, filter.
1. Do I need to reinforce the floor.
2. How is this done?
Tank ideas are currently this. The water will from from the tank to the sump were a Seaclone 100 skimmer will be, I will also have some chaeto, then some mud, out of that into my fluval multi stage 05 series filters(305 and does 320 GPH) and back up to the tank.
1.Do you think the pump in the filter will be able to pump that water back up the 15 feet or so? if not what is cheap that will?
2. I looked at a 125 and 150 gal tank at a local store and the 125 size was 72 1/2 x 18 1/2 x 23 3/8 and the 150 was 48"x24" x30" est. What wattage of lights would be needed for each?

monsinour

My home is older than yours, and in my basement there are whats called "house jacks" that support the 1st floor. They are basically hydralic jacks that are about 8 feet in length. you place them where you want them and then jack them up to support the house. In my house there are about 6, one on each corner and 2 in the middle. Not sure where or if you can get them anymore.
15 feet of head is alot and its going to take a strong pump to push that water back up. I dont think you can find a "cheap" pump that will do it. Certainly dont think that the canister will have enough umph to get that water up the 15 feet for decent circulation.

deejeff442

i have my 250 on a pier and beam which is pretty much the same as the box of your first story.i didn't go under and add more support.
you can find the basement supports pretty easy at lumber suppliers.they come in different lengths for different height basements.just a pole with a heavy duty screw in them you just turn to a snug fit.if you are going to a 150 and are worried i would get a landscape timber 4 by 4 and two supports .don't worry about the tank against the wall just put the supports 2 feet from the wall.but i wouldn't bother.your home probably has actual 2 by 8 or 2 by 10 back then .i wouldn't worry.

deejeff442

all depends what you are keeping?reef or fowlr sps or not
fowlr light dont matter,softies t5,sps metal halide.
i like metal halide either way just because of the shimmer it gives in the water

deejeff442

i never had a t5 set up cant help you there.i have 3 250watt mh and 4 96 watt compacts on my 250 gallon .6 foot long.i can grow anything.but it was a $900 set up.
i think t5 cost less but you wont get the metal halide shimmer in the water.lights for reef tanks with sps arent cheap thats for sure.

geridoc

Place heavy angle iron strips across 2 beams, and put the tank on the irons. This distributes the weight over two beams, making it less likely that your tank will wind up in the basement.