Floor requirement for a 150 Reef

reefkprz

Oh the structual plans for youre house have to be on file at your town office/cityhall/library. if you can get your hands on a copy of them it would give you a way better idea as to what your working with. then just about anyone in the construction biz could look at them and tell you if it would hold the weight. I'm still leaning towards probably not though.

paulcoates

I was talking to my LFS and they know an engineer who will stop out and survey the structure. Probably cost me a few bucks, but better to be safe than divorced for a tank crashing through a floor.

M

mikede

I too build houses and IMHO I wouldn't try it with the things I have heard and seen. Your drawing shows that on the third floor there are knee walls built, pulling your walls and tank closer to the center of the room. That is one warning signal. Meaning you would have more stability closer to the exterior wall. I appreciate what reefkprz is suggesting with building a support header in the room beneath it but I do slightly respectfully disagree with it. Only because if there is no support directly below the support header then it is in fact useless because of the point load. But I think the attention you are paying to this problem is a good start as well as the structural engineer. Good luck.

M

mikede

I apologize to reefkprz,
My response was more based on the drawing than the text. Reefkprz text is exactly correct in that HIS system has a header beneath it in the basement which is an ideal situation and something like what you would want to do. Sorry reefkprz.

reefkprz

not a big deal mike. going off the drawing as you said, looked useless. It was a quickie. LOL. I was hopeing the text would explain what I left out of the drawing.

M

mikede

And it did. Sorry again. I am interested in what the engineer said.