floor support's?

gpkozmp

I am wondering if I should re-inforce my floor for a 100gallon tank? This picture is a picture of what the floor joist's look like from my basement. If you think I should go ahead and do that let me know and if you know how that would be greatly appreciated. Also I hear a lot of yes and no on this so just let me know what you think I guess. Thanks for your help.

casper1875

You want the weight to be distributed across as many joist as possible. I would say to put it where you have the 29. You could buy floor jacks to support it.

joncat24

You will be fine putting it where you have it marked. It is along a load bearing wall. No worries, mate.

Are the joists going underneath the tank and if so, how many... Or are the joist running horizontal with the tank (this isn't good)
It looks like you have a silent floor setup... If so, I have the same, mine has laminated plywood 2X4's with the middle glued wood... this is suppose to be some of the strongest for supports... When I setup my tank, I made sure to have at least 3 of these running underneath, I might even have a fourth, I am really not sure there. Anyways, it has been over 1.5 years and it hasn't budged. I keep a level with my tank just to test and make sure, and it hasn't moved, and I am on the 2nd level of my house. My tank is a 180G DT with a 105G refuge, so I have quite a bit of weight there.
Mine is on 2 load bearing walls, like in your diagram.
If your house is the same as mine, I wouldn't worry, as long as you have the joist running under the tank.
I hope this helps

gpkozmp

Originally Posted by globaldesigns
http:///forum/post/3161221
Are the joists going underneath the tank and if so, how many... Or are the joist running horizontal with the tank (this isn't good)
It looks like you have a silent floor setup... If so, I have the same, mine has laminated plywood 2X4's with the middle glued wood... this is suppose to be some of the strongest for supports... When I setup my tank, I made sure to have at least 3 of these running underneath, I might even have a fourth, I am really not sure there. Anyways, it has been over 1.5 years and it hasn't budged. I keep a level with my tank just to test and make sure, and it hasn't moved, and I am on the 2nd level of my house. My tank is a 180G DT with a 105G refuge, so I have quite a bit of weight there.
Mine is on 2 load bearing walls, like in your diagram.
If your house is the same as mine, I wouldn't worry, as long as you have the joist running under the tank.
I hope this helps

Would you be able to draw a diagram of what yours looks like? I was just wondering what you were talking about.

mkroher

If the joists run North to South, i would put it where the 29 gal fish tank is.
You want the tank to run perpendicular to the joists.

gpkozmp

okay I have had many of my friends and co-workers look at this but I am still going to pass it through a contractor and is what I am going to do is support the joist's with 4x4's, between 3-6 of them. They are going to be on the first joist as that is where all the weight is going to be. Here is a little drawing of it when it is done and a little better description. This was all done on "paint" and is a rough rough outline of what I have compiled.

cydab

here is my thought about this: since you have a basement use this opportunity to create a room that will be located right under the 100 gal. tank, that will serve two things one will be support the second would be a place to run all the plumbing too, like this you be limited to space that the stand gives you.

I don't feel you need supports, but if you want them, they can't hurt...
Here is a quick diagram, my tank with the joist running underneath it, not along with it.

i<3reefs

Well, that old saying hindsight is 20/20 comes to play here. I've always been of the opinion hearing someone say "that is overkill" is a lot better than the alternative.