Floreseant Algea. What do i do?

kcobain111

I have this bright floresent green algea growing one my rocks and glass. It's mostly only on 1 rock right now but is forming on the grass. What can i do to stop this?
Water parameters are fine.

binhzino

I have the same problem....but its all over the place...over every live rock i got..its even on the protein skimmer....:confused:

binhzino

people told me to put emerald crabs in there...or check the lighting time or reduce the phosphate or nitrate levels? i dunnoo haha

1journeyman

If your water is ok then a good clean up crew should take care of it.
Crabs work on the rock, but for the glass, pumps, etc. you are going to need some good snails. I personally also like abelones.

who dey

not unless you have as much as binhzino. it's great food for tangs and angels. but can smother corals and overall it looks like s%&t!!!!

kcobain111

Yea i'll just add to my clean up crew. It only covers the rocks and glass it's not like hair algea or anything.

1journeyman

Yep. As has been said, it seems to grow quicker than coraline algae, so it can out compete it for space and light.
A stouter clean up crew should keep it in check.

mudplayerx

I agree that a good cleaning crew should help out a lot, but you should look into solving the problem, not just staving it off.
Test your phosphate and nitrates. Both of those should be undetectable. Make sure that you are also putting your lights on at the same time each day and for no more than twelve hours. ten hours a day is probably better if you are having an algae problem though.
Check your carbon dioxide saturation as well. To do this, get a bucket of tank water and put a airstone in it for 24 hours. You then test the ph of the bucket and the ph of the tank (try to do this about midday). If the bucket has a ph higher than the tank by 0.2 or more, then you probably need more water movement in your tank.
ps- I am sure you know this, but just to be safe: use only reverse osmosis or distilled water for topoffs and water changes.

A

andretti

Use reverse osmosis H20 & all of your problems will go away.
:jumping:

kcobain111

OK i use distilled water. Nitrates don't seem to get any lower than .10ppm. and i'll order some more tests tonight.
Can i scrub the algea off the glass? using a sponge?

acekjd83

yes, you can scrape it off, but if nitrates or other nutrients are the source of the algae bloom, then the scraping will kill the algae and release the nitrates they have absorbed, so find the source of the problem or the algae will only get worse. keep doing water changes, and get some crabs or snails.
if the tank is new, then the instability of the new system will cause some odd algae blooms for no apparent reason. just keep the water as clean as possible and try not to overstock too quickly.:)

kcobain111

My tank is about 2 months old and this is the first algea i've had to deal with.
I think my Lights have been on too long each day now that i've heard only 10-12 hours a day.
i'm gonna go see if the algea is hard i'll even post a pic in a few minutes.
i have 10 snails in there right now and there attacking it pretty good already.
i want to get atleast 10 more.

acekjd83

sounds like you're right on track...
the reason young tanks are so prone to fluctuations is that the bacterial populations are still competing for space and nutrients and havent quite established permanent "territories." the older the tank is, the more well established the nitrifying bacteria are, and the less prone they are to fluctuations in population.
the key is to be patient and wait for things to comeback into balance, and just keep skimming and filtering:yes: