Florida LFS's

spanko

I was in Fort Lauderdale, Florida over the past few days and had some time to visit some LFS's.
I would have thought that the stores there would be the most well stocked stores I had ever seen, with much local livestock and Ric's and Yuma's galore.
I was sadly disappointed.
Big Als on University was like the Wal-Mart of aquarium stores. Nice lagrge display tank but their livestock selection was no better than that here in Michigan. Some of their tanks, yes tanks plural, had fish in them with obvious fungal growths on them. The coral selection was very limited.
Age of Aquarium again on University was more of what I considered to be a local LFS. Tanks were not very clean, limited fish and coral livestock. Multiple tanks with dead or suffering fish. Again though a beautiful display tank.
Exotic Aquatic on Oakland Park was much better than the other two. Tanks were well kept but still not a large selection of livestock. Very nice display tank.
I did notice though that the hardware prices wer on average about 5-7% cheaper than in Michigan.
Only had a chance to hit these three, but again I was not impressed especially since I thought I was going to be in "SALTWATER FISH AQUARIUM STORE HEAVEN".
JMO anyone else have any comments on these stores or others in the Fort Lauderdale area?

odglock19

Originally Posted by spanko
I was in Fort Lauderdale, Florida over the past few days and had some time to visit some LFS's.
I would have thought that the stores there would be the most well stocked stores I had ever seen, with much local livestock and Ric's and Yuma's galore.
I was sadly disappointed.
Big Als on University was like the Wal-Mart of aquarium stores. Nice lagrge display tank but their livestock selection was no better than that here in Michigan. Some of their tanks, yes tanks plural, had fish in them with obvious fungal growths on them. The coral selection was very limited.
Age of Aquarium again on University was more of what I considered to be a local LFS. Tanks were not very clean, limited fish and coral livestock. Multiple tanks with dead or suffering fish. Again though a beautiful display tank.
Exotic Aquatic on Oakland Park was much better than the other two. Tanks were well kept but still not a large selection of livestock. Very nice display tank.
I did notice though that the hardware prices wer on average about 5-7% cheaper than in Michigan.
Only had a chance to hit these three, but again I was not impressed especially since I thought I was going to be in "SALTWATER FISH AQUARIUM STORE HEAVEN".
JMO anyone else have any comments on these stores or others in the Fort Lauderdale area?
Yeah I live actually right near Age of Aquariums..it's ok they have a bunch of young kids working in there that arent too educated and only care about the comission so they will try to sell you everything under the sun....You missed a really good place right there off of Griffin it's called Reef's Edge it's a small place but they have a lot of fish that no one else seems to carry and a HUGE selection of Coral...also the place is always in tip top shape...but you pretty much went to every place around here....

saltn00b

they each have there ups and downs. big als is good for buying new tanks for cheap because they have a deal with a manufacturer. i am there every weekend to get my RO refilled as well. there coral usually sucks but they can get in some nice fish from time to time. been to the others, they dont excite me much. there is Jawz.net which is a beautiful place on broward blvd. and then there is a little place called coral seas or living seas or something like that on 441 and prospect, they have been there for a long time and all of there tanks are very mature with capricornis and GSP growing all on the back walls. some super awesome display tanks too. beyond that, i usually just buy online or trade local.

mavis1032

Jawz.net in Ft Lauderdale is my fav. for fish and advise. Reef Life on griffin in Davie for corals and Fishes paradise on hallendale bch blvd for equip & food. Age of Aquarium set up my first tank and did a great job, but I would never buy any livestock from them.

murph

It is the off season in Florida so that may have been a factor.
Florida in general is in economic decline tied so greatly with real estate prices and home building. Combine that with a right to work law (right to work for nothing) and you see artificially low wages, artificially high insurance cost and a oppressive tax burden on property in combination with artificially high retail prices and the attitude that nothing should have to change and you might not even see some of those LFS still in business on your next trip.
It is truly amazing the capacity for the powers that be to ignore economic realities until its to late and then leave someone else to repair the damage.

sfoister

The best LFS I have seen in Florida is here in Tampa on Hillsborough in the Town and Country area. I can't remember the name of the place because it's about an hour drive for me so I don't go often but they always have a massive stock of corals and fish and everything has been healthy when I go in.

bpaul1201

Originally Posted by Murph
It is the off season in Florida so that may have been a factor.
Florida in general is in economic decline tied so greatly with real estate prices and home building. Combine that with a right to work law (right to work for nothing) and you see artificially low wages, artificially high insurance cost and a oppressive tax burden on property in combination with artificially high retail prices and the attitude that nothing should have to change and you might not even see some of those LFS still in business on your next trip.
It is truly amazing the capacity for the powers that be to ignore economic realities until its to late and then leave someone else to repair the damage.

that why i moved from south florida, i was making 50K a year but housing was way more then i could have afforded! now i live up in mortheast florida i'm i'm thinking about moving again!
anyways the store on hallendale bch blvd is pretty good my uncle lives in the community behind him, its been there forever, as far as the other ones like what murph said they'll probly be gone on your next trip! as far as the stocking of the stores i would recommend on going on the day they get there shipments in, otherwise you have to wait and order what you want most of the time cuz it goes out the door so fast!

fish1031

Originally Posted by sfoister
The best LFS I have seen in Florida is here in Tampa on Hillsborough in the Town and Country area. I can't remember the name of the place because it's about an hour drive for me so I don't go often but they always have a massive stock of corals and fish and everything has been healthy when I go in.
Marine Warehouse?

murph

Originally Posted by crazyaqua
Can i get an Amen Murph

If you are suggesting Florida is in need of a prayer your probably right.
It will be interesting to see what happens in the next year or two and see if the same economic conditions that have lead to the destruction or exodus of there customers is allowed to continue on and lead to the destruction of large corporations and property developers that are responsible for these conditions in the first place.
I suspect the solution will come from the banks as they are forced to foreclose and find themselves absorbing the carrying cost of property people either cant afford to buy and insure or people simply opt to live or invest in property where the economic conditions are more favorable. They will have no choice but to turn there extensive political lobbying resources toward a solution to the problem. Sadly these pacs and lobby's are the people who really run the government.

lukeb321

Barrier Reef in Boca Raton is my fav. Nice selection , good/fair prices and CLEAN. Good service. Everything I bought there has done excellent except my poor bi color who jumped out