Florida or Yuma Ricordia

Please tell vote for what you have and then tell why you picked one over the other! Tell me your most favorite color too!
I wanna see pics!

zeroc

i think alot of people are going to have both. I currently have a few rainbow yumas but i want to get some rics too.

R

rcreations

Can someone post a picture of each kind? I know I have both in my tank, but I don't know which is which.

fishissues

yumas need a stronger light i think so thats why i have none in my tank

wait i just found out that yumas need less lighting...yumas have more uneven bubbles right?
uhhg im so confused

flricordia

Originally Posted by fishissues
http:///forum/post/2535269
yumas need a stronger light i think so thats why i have none in my tank

wait i just found out that yumas need less lighting...yumas have more uneven bubbles right?
uhhg im so confused
You are right. Yumas start out needing less light, but can be acclimated to higher light levels. Ricordea flordia can take most any lighting situation.
And the spirocysts (bubbles) of yumas are more uneven in size and generally lead up onto the mouth. Also yumas only develope one mouth whereas floridas can have many mouths on a single polyp. note: Though I have never seen it personally, I would not rule out that a yuma might develope an extra mouth.
I believe the reason for yumas only needing one mouth is because of the way they multiply, leaving behind a piece of foot that grows into a new yuma, much like most corallimorpharins. Floridas on the other hand develop several mouths and multiply by splitting between the mouths-some other corallimorpharians do also, namely what are known as tonga mushrooms.

demartini

Originally Posted by RCreations
http:///forum/post/2532643
Can someone post a picture of each kind? I know I have both in my tank, but I don't know which is which.
I have both, but I prefer yumas because they come in so many different colors and are just stunning. Here are some pictures of mine.
yumas

FL rics

I want some so bad...either or both. I've ordered a red Yuma - delivery next Sat! WoooWhoo!

Also...Thanks DeMartini for posting pics for us to drool over.