flow for 72 gal

nickoz

I would like to know what would be suggested flow requirements for 72 gal FOWLR (eventually reef) with 70-100 lb LR, 4 1/2" DSB.
What are other people doing with 72gal or 75 gal tanks.
How many powerheads?
flow rates?
Constant or wave maker?
placement?
Thanks,
-nick

jumpfrog

I have a 72 bow. 1 small maxi-jet (can't remember the size) pumping water just above the dsb line. 1 maxi jet 900 half way up pumping across middle. 1 maxi jet 1200 2/3 way up pumping across middle from opposite side of 900. 1 1200 pumping at the surface for gas exchange and 1 whisper 4 hang on filter for water movement and a place to run carbon when I need. Altogether about 1200 gph. Works for me.

von_rahvin

jumpfrog sounds like a good way to go. I would use a wave maker. only thing i would change. other than that remember that you have to set up your currents for how your rock is placed. use (his) tank as a guideline though. i honestly for some reason never thought to use different powerheads to get stronger or weaker currents. how stupid is that? so much to learn.

nickoz

broomer, yes I have a 20gal sump.
Von_Rahvin, Here is a picture to see my aquasqaping. Its a bit dark but my digital camera isnt the greatest.

-nick

mini-reefer

In my 72 Bow I have 4 Maxi-jet 1200's running on a Red Sea Wavemaster Pro, plus a Mag 9.5 split into two outlets for the return. All in all about 1700 GPH give or take with head pressure. There is plenty of movement so the sand bed and rocks stay clear of algea and debris. The corals move around a lot as well and the fish seem to like to ride the currents :D I would definately invest in a good wavemaker. I really like mine because of the night, feeding, and adjustable intensity cycles. HTH

ddt

I have a 72 bow. There is a Rio 3100 for the return from the sump. I also have 4 maxi-jet 1200's on a Red Sea Wavemaker. One is set to constant on and is pointed at the return to create turbulance. The oter three are set to random wave patterns. I have plenty of movement :)
You can find pacage dedals with a wavemaker and four Maxi-jets for surprisingly little money, well worth a look.

debster

Hi. I've been doing lots of research and since some of you have the same tank I have it may make it easier on me to understand what to do since the bowfronts are shaped differently than an average tank.
I'm going for a fish only (peaceful community...no aggressive or semi-aggressive) and am converting my freshwater to saltwater. I've decided to get rid of my Fluval 404 and my UGF (as I'm told its not really that helpful anyway) and keep my two powerheads (dont know the speed but I think they're MaxiJets) and add another two powerheads. What else do I need? I've read some are using protein skimmers or Red Sea Wavemakers, and what seems like tons of other things, and I am getting seriously confused. Money right now is not too much of an issue so I rather buy what I need now to run my tank appropriately and for the long run.
What do I do for lighting? Can I use my current hood and light fixture and will it fit a blue actinic light?
Are heaters not used in a saltwater tank because I don't see much talk about them.
Thanks for any advice anyone can offer me.