Flow for a 150?

olemiss

I am getting a 150 delivered this Saturday. It is going to be a reef with softies and sps. I could use ya'lls help on which pumps to use. I am either going with hydors or an ecotech but i am unsure on the amount to buy. I am happy with the hydors on my 55 and 75 but have been considering ecotechs for the 150. Would one MP20 be enough on the 150? if not how many hydor #4 would ya'll recommend.

nigerbang

I have 4 K4's in my 120 one of them is modded with a mag 12 for a return... Which puts me around 58x turnover and hour

oceansidefish

Sorry Niger.... I forgot about the magnum 8... Although we have not tested them officially we are estimating about 4x the rating on the pump. I am out of town but I believe they were rated origionally at 660 GPH so we are getting, again this is estimated, about 2400 GPH. Although I know some of the local reefers here are working on some additional mods.

oceansidefish

We modded two tunzes for my 120 and it was actually WAAAYYYY to much flow... I had to order new covers and downgrade the mods a bit.

nigerbang

Originally Posted by Oceansidefish
http:///forum/post/2951657
Sorry Niger.... I forgot about the magnum 8... Although we have not tested them officially we are estimating about 4x the rating on the pump. I am out of town but I believe they were rated origionally at 660 GPH so we are getting, again this is estimated, about 2400 GPH. Although I know some of the local reefers here are working on some additional mods.
Nice!! what all had to be modded to pull that? I took one of my 4's and took the magnet out of a MJ1200 and threw a Gulf Stream 2 High flow impeller in there and push around 2500-3000gph from a k4

nigerbang

http:///forum/post/2951660
We modded two tunzes for my 120 and it was actually WAAAYYYY to much flow... I had to order new covers and downgrade the mods a bit.
No doubt... Thats why I only have one of mine modded.. Thinking about removing it so I dont have so much disturbence in the sand

oceansidefish

Acutally all it takes is a dremmel drill. Basically you mod the cover which permits more flow...Again out of town but I will post the mod next week when I get home. The best part is it's a free mod. You don't actually have to remove any of the inner workings. There are some notches to be cut around the outlet of the cover as well as removing some pieces of plastic from the inside of the cover with a dremmel. Takes 10 minutes...

karak40

http:///forum/post/2951670
Acutally all it takes is a dremmel drill. Basically you mod the cover which permits more flow...Again out of town but I will post the mod next week when I get home. The best part is it's a free mod. You don't actually have to remove any of the inner workings. There are some notches to be cut around the outlet of the cover as well as removing some pieces of plastic from the inside of the cover with a dremmel. Takes 10 minutes...
sure wish you can post some pictures on what to cut out with the dremmel to mod these nanos.. I have a dremmel but dont want to ruin them