flow for a 30g

N

nihoa

ive been reading up on how much flow per gallon you would want in your tank and opinion seems to vary anywhere from 4-5 gph per gallon - 10 gph per gallon. for a 30 gallon tank that would only mean a total of 150 - 300 gph.
we currently have at least that but i feel like it isnt enough. there are some cyano problems despite water parameters being great and i know that can be a light issue as well but i think increased flow could help too.
my question then would be what recommendations people would make for a 30g? i was considering a couple hydor koralia 1s but maybe just the one would suffice with a second, smaller powerhead to help?

bpro32

10x turnover rate is mostly for fish only tanks, which is fine, but even then most people want more flow than that. 4-5 seems to me like it would be WAY too little.
I have a 34 gallon solana with a k2 and a 320 gph return pump. I have a little over 900 gph going through 34 gallons which is about 26x turnover rate. Even with that I'm going to add a maxijet 900 with a hydor flo attachment to bring it up to about a 32x turnover.
If you have a reef, go with 2 k1's. Maybe even a k2 and a k1 if it is a longer tank.

aquaguy24

I just started a 24g. It has a250 gph return pump and a koralia 2(600gph). Everything is fine but I don't have anything in there yet.

canareef

I would look at what kind of corals you want to keep or are keeping in the tank and go from there. I'm running 2 K2's in my 33G with a 304 fluval (not sure the output of it) and this gives me lots of movement but it doesn't stir up the sand.

bpro32

Originally Posted by canareef
http:///forum/post/3041693
I would look at what kind of corals you want to keep or are keeping in the tank and go from there. I'm running 2 K2's in my 33G with a 304 fluval (not sure the output of it) and this gives me lots of movement but it doesn't stir up the sand.
how long is your tank? This is what I was going to do on a 40g that I had in the works before I picked up a 34g cube.

N

nihoa

very true for anything equipment related. there are corals we want that require high flow but define high flow hahah. we also have a fluval 304 (just full of liverock) that gives some pretty good flow. i think ill add at least 2 koralia 1s then or maybe a 1 and a 2 as you have.
Originally Posted by canareef
http:///forum/post/3041693

canareef

Originally Posted by bpro32
http:///forum/post/3041708
how long is your tank? This is what I was going to do on a 40g that I had in the works before I picked up a 34g cube.
I'll have to check when I get home but it's just a standard 33G.

dschwartz

I have a standard size 29g with two Koralia Nano on the back wall pointing forward and slightly center - one near the bottom left and the other middle right. I also have a PowerJet 900 in the upper left corner that is pointing towards the center of the tank and up to cause a lot of surface movement/circulation. Lastly, I have a 3-stage Rena hang on back filter that cascade/waterfalls back into tank in center of backwall.
Altogether, I have about 900-1000 gph flow rate and approximately 30x or so turnover(all are rated about 250 gph or so) and I would consider the overall flow in the tank moderate.)
I have clown, hammer coral, green start polyps and zoas and all seem quite happy with flow...
David.

N

nihoa

wow, hahah. do you have fish in there as well? we have two little firefish that seem to gravitate to the areas of the tank with the lowest flow. they like hovering in calmer water so ill have to be sure to have some area in the tank for them.