Flow Rate Resourses

jarre

Well, it's time to start working on the plans now that my basic equipment has been established and purchased. Let the fun begin! :jumping:
I've got three tanks that are all going to be tied together. I am going to build the stands and canopies myself so this project will take time.
Before building the stands I've got some questions on flow rates. Don't want any surprises and want to ensure the designs of everything I have in mind are well thought out before beginning. My existing tank uses a hang on so this is new to me.
I've searched the net and this board and am not really all that good at searching so if you could point me in a good direction it would be greatly appreciated.
Let me explain what makes my question a little different from the post I've read on the board.
Basic Equipment:
1 Tank - 180 Gal 60"x24"'x24" (standard Tencor - 2 - 1" drains)
1 Tank - 250 Gal 61" x 30" x 32" (custom 1 - 1 1/2" drain)
1 Tank - 280 Gal 48"x 48" x28" (custom 1 - 1" drain)
1 Sump - 34" x 23" x 15" (custom 1 - 1 1/2", 2 - 1" input with room for two more 1" inputs / 4 - 1" outputs with room for 2 more 1" outputs)
1 - 50 Gal Rubbermaid fuges.
1 Euroreef Cs 12-2
What I need to figure out is how much water will be entering the sump based on all the various teeth sizes and drain sizes so I can determine how to plumb it and purchase the appropraite return pumps. Plus it will assist in knowing what sizes I want for the closed loop systems.
These tanks are going to be used for SPS primarily and I'm looking for a 20x flow through each tank. Like I said to start with. Let the fun begin!!!
Can anyone point me in the right direction for documentation?

broomer5

I'll take a stab at this - but you'll definately want to get several opinions from people that run large tanks such as yours.
I may be way off on my rough calculations/estimates.
As I'm sure you know - there's no way to get 20X tank turnover if all three tanks are tied to one 34x24x15" sump. That sump would be around 53 gallons.
So doing closed loops on each tank would be required - as you mentioned.
If you look at each tanks requirements individually, then add up the total water running through the sump - you can estimate what turnover you could expect in each tank.
However you end up plumbing it - I would suggest teeing off each pump and placing a valve in each branching tee - to allow you to bypass some of each pumps flow back to the sump. This will allow you to tweek each return pumps flow to each respective tank - without creating too much backpressure on each pump - should they be slightly oversized for each tanks overflow capacity.
That being said ......
A realistic turnover rate for each tank in my opinion is 2.5 to 5 times each tank volume per hour. Maybe a little more on the 180 and 250 - and less on the 280.
180 gallon tank - 5x turnover = 900 gallons per hour.
Your two 1" drains should handle this no problem.
250 gallon tank - 5x turnover = 1250 gallons per hour.
Your single 1-1/2" drain should handle this as well.
280 gallon tank - 5x turnover = 1400 gallons per hour.
Your single 1" drain - I don't believe can handle that flow.
You would have to downsize the turnover on this tank by at least half to 2.5x turnover = 700 gph ( or even less )
If we add these up we get 900 + 1250 + 700 = 2850 gallons per hour.
I think you have enough sump size to do what you plan to do - 53 gallons if it were full. But we don't run our sumps completley filled - normally around 50-75% full - to allow for drainback from display tanks when pumps are off.
I'm sure you know you would have to set everything up so you could turn all pumps off - and still not overflow the sump when all three tanks backdrain down.
My other concern is let's say you have this sump filled 50% with water when the pumps are off. When you kick on all three pumps - there's a chance that the sump level could drop down too much. You would have to figure out how much water from each tank is going to backdrain to the sump when each pump is turned off / power loss.
At this point - I think the best suggestion I have would be for you to post additional info on the overflows of each tank.
We know the drainline size - but know little about each overflows size. Number of teeth ( or linear inches of each overflow ) would be nice to know. Are these drains bottom drilled or back tank drilled ?
As I said - I'm no expert at running large tanks - but I do know there are several members here that do have experience.
I'll bump this up for them to comment.
Sounds like a great project Jarre.
( moving this to the equipment DIY forum )

jarre

Thanks Broomer!!
I miss typed the drains on the 250 and 280. The 250 has the 1" and the 280 has the 1 1/2". I had planned on building a drain off from the sump into an empty 50 rubbermaid in case of a power outage. I had the sump built for two of the tanks before deciding I had the room for the additional tank. It would also give me the ability to run the sump with a higher volume than normal.
I'll be using some of your ideas from your canopy in mine as well. I've always loved your canopy!!