Flow/Turnover rate question...

zj4play

Flow and turnover rate. I have a 29 gallon Biocube and I found a helpfull link to calculate my turnover rate. "Add together the flow rates of every pump or powerhead you have in your system, then divide that number by the size of your tank. That's your turnover". When I do this I get 333 divided by 29 equals 11.4.
That is pretty low for a reef tank yes? If I want a turnover rate of 20 then I need to get the total flow up to 600 gph.
The question is...can a add a 300 gph powerhead, then connect that powerhead to some PVC that I can run behind my rocks? The PVC would have some holes in it. The purpose would be to keep some flow in the back of the tank where the powerheads cant really reach.
Opinions please

dmjordan

you can make a closed loop system on your tank. google closed loop for reef tanks and you should be able to find some pics or diagrams. you can also post in the diy forum to see if anyone there has a diagram showing how to make one.

zj4play

Thanks for the info...I posted in the DIY forum. I dont want the pipes outside the tank though. I just want to connect to a powerhead inside the tank. Almost like adding an extension to it I guess?