Flower Anemone question

museumgirl

I recently got 2 "flower anemones" I don't know if that's actually what they are since I haven't seen anybody else mention any. Anyhoo- I spot feed all of my anem small pieces of raw shrimp 2x a week or so, and the other day everybody ate great, and then about an hour later I saw my new flower anem. spit the piece of shrimp back out. It was so wierd. Does he just not like it? :notsure:
Also several days after I got him I noticed about 5 little white anemone looking like things attached to the rock just below him. I don't think that they are feather dusters, and they look just like the anem, but I thought if it spawned the babies would be much smaller and if it split there would only be one and it would be bigger. Could they be little anemones, or am I totally off base. I will try to include a picture tomorrow.

marvida

Could you please describe the anenomes? I've seen both apaistia (sp) and mojanos sold as flower anenomes.

museumgirl

I know that it's not an aiptasia, but I've never seen a mojano. I took some pictures and was having trouble posting them. They need to be resized. Hopefully I will get them up in a day or two. I looked this morning and there were 6 babies, and one of them is starting to get bigger than the others.

T

thomas712

Really hard to tell from the pics what they are, can you crop and give a close up?
Here is one that I had

museumgirl

Thomas- is yours a flower anemone or a mojano? I'll see if I can crop and zoom. The parent is the large anem on top in the picture. It's tentacles look similar to yours, but it has more of a flattened disc in the middle. The other one I have is white and more ruffled looking like yours.

rainfishy

I have an anemone that looks exactly like the one is your pic. I've always heard it refered to as a flower anemone or rock anemone, but honestly have never had a true ID. Mine has never produced anything like the little ones you have (and I've had it for over a year). Mine was a HH, did you buy yours with the rock?? Is it possible that the other ones were HH and they were just to small to see before?? I don't really know, just sharing my experience. Also, I have never fed mine anything; I assume he filters food from the water or something. I don't know if i should actually be feeding him something, but I figure if he's looking good, it's all good. So i hope that helps.

T

thomas712

Originally Posted by Museumgirl
Thomas- is yours a flower anemone or a mojano? .
That is a rock/flower anemone.
Mojano looks like this

museumgirl

I don't think the "babies" could be HH because the rock he's on was an old piece that had been out of the tank for over a year, and they showed up a couple days after I got him. One of them is getting bigger already, and I'm interested to see what they'll do. I've got 7 at last count. Keep you guys posted.