Flower Pot Coral (Goniopora)

fishhunter

What does every one think of these corals? I bought one today not really knowing what it was, I asked the guy at the LFS about it and he said that it should be fine in a cube as long as it gets fed live zooplankton. If I can find my connector to my camra Ill post some pics. So far it looks happy, it has opened up nicely.

mr_x

"Goniopora is delicate and long term survival (>12 months) is probably less than 10%. Not recommended for the beginning hobbyist, although success is as much luck as skill at this point in our understanding of this coral."
"Goniopora is photosynthetic and does not take any known foods. The method of death when a specimen dies is usually a long period of decline that may be caused by nutritional deficiency. What is lacking is unfortunately so far unknown. Its natural habitat of turbid lagoons indicates that it may benefit from less than pristine water."
"Maintaining correct calcium and alkalinity levels is undoubtedly important for skeletal development"

errattiq

+1 Mr. X. I have had a very nice specimen for about a year now, always opened up nicely. Recently, I noticed the polyps weren't extending as much in particular areas, these areas have seemed to spread over the last few weeks and I'm pretty sure its on its way out... Its unfortunate but like you said, its very hard to keep a coral when its needs are unknown...

fishhunter

Originally Posted by errattiq
http:///forum/post/2825080
+1 Mr. X. I have had a very nice specimen for about a year now, always opened up nicely. Recently, I noticed the polyps weren't extending as much in particular areas, these areas have seemed to spread over the last few weeks and I'm pretty sure its on its way out... Its unfortunate but like you said, its very hard to keep a coral when its needs are unknown...
It is a very beautiful coral mine is a florecent greeny yellow. but if this one dies I wont buy another.

scottallert

i have 2 bought them without knowing that they are not for beginners, but there doing great
i had a rogue dottyback that tried to kill a purple one i have and it took about 2 weeks for it to open again and it is doing better and better.