flower pot

falcon63

anyone have this coral? any success? where do you have it placed in your tank? how long have you had it? this pic is one day

alf3482

This is probably one of the hardiest corals to keep to date. the Mortality rate is above 98%. Most aquarist are unsuccessfull. Most starve in our tanks for lack of proper enviroment. these corals come from murky, nutrient rich waters. Over skimming has been suggested as a problem, meaning most tanks are to clean.
I do not recommend this coral for a beginner or even most exp. reefers because of there mortality rate. Some suggest that this coral should not be collected and sold.
With that said I have had great success with this coral. I have three in the tank 2 years 4 months, 2 years 2 months and 24 months. I have mine placed in the rocks, but the " experts" say that this placement is incorrect. That The Goniopora Is collected from the ocean floor and this is the best placement. I placed my 3 on the rocks before I found out this type of info. but success has been so good that i am afraid to make changes in their placement. You will find feeding a little difficult. Good established tank will help as i belive that these corals feed mainly on microzooplankton anf invertabrate larva, and other of such nature. I also belive that they feed on some amounts of phytoplankton, and also I belive that the DT's benifit indirectly by feeding organisims that the goniopora feed on. This is just my belife through exp. I can also state that Rob Toonen agrees with me on my theory. I can direct you to some good threads on this subject, but you'll have to e-mail me for the info as I have been asked not to lead members to other sites.
Here are my pride and joy's

ryebread

I also have a flowerpot and I have had good luck with it. It did not want to come out and play at first but I started target feeding it with some DTs Marine Phytoplankton and the little guy seems to love it. It comes out full bloom each day. Only had it for three months but hopefully it will be with me for a long time.

falcon63

thanks for info yours is a fine looking piece thay say the red is easyer to keep? it just keeps getting bigger