FlowerPot Coral

tutak

I'm an idiot. I bought a flowerpot coral on a whim thinking that it would be an easy to take care of specimen. Everywhere i read it says usually dies within one year. Does anybody out there have one that has survived the odds? If so what do you do to help keep it. It says that Calcium levels should be high. Any help or advice would help a lot. Peace out.

rbrockm1

i know strong lighting helps a lot, but thats with most corals. what type of flower pot is it? suppose to feed daily

gmford1979

i have tried to spot feed mine, and it doesn't eat. i moved mine high up in the tank until i got better lights. what kind of light do you have??

reefforbrains

under PC most become "Gonner-ipora", For some reason the green ones can do ok, but red are very particular IME.
Good luck and keep us posted

tutak

When you say "Gonner Ipora," are you saying they are bound for death? It's not red. It's more of a green. I''m color blind so i have a hard time guessing the colors corectly.

reefforbrains

I personally am no master reefkeeper, I have had good luck with the green ones. But yes they are a hard species to keep in any fashion. I only know from my own exp that they tend to do best for me when I absolutley leave them alone. Place them in nice light and gentle flow and resist the urge to touch move or play with them.If i do move them , I make myself wait at least a week before doing so again. They have such a drastic change from open to close so its always tempting to adjust and play with them. Patience if key.
They seem prone to fungal infections and poor handling during collection and often once they lose a single cell they just slowly errode to complete wipeout. Like I said I am no expert and I can keep them with reasonable stability so I would think anyone can. I run heavy on MH so I dont know how they fare for long term under PC but I dont think its enough.

rbrockm1

the true red flower pot are extremely hard to keep. your tank has to be perfect usually don't live past the first year do to tank conditions