Fluidized Bed Filter

bfrink

I have a 72 gal bow that is currently cycling. I decided to go against the grain (no pun intended) and use CC as opposed to a DSB (don't like how it looks). From all the posts I've read on this site, it looks like I may be facing a problem with nitrates. Has anyone used a Fludized Bed Filter for reduction of nitrates, and if so, how did it work? Also, I was looking at the Red Sea Merlin. Any comments about this filter, and what pump would be recommended. Lastly, how often does the filter media have to be changed.
As always, thanks for the info.

Kinda funny, it seems as soon as someone posts some knowledge on the stuff "after" you, you have to go in and get your 2 cents back in. This is the norm for you it seems anthem.

marc42fe

IME nitrates are only removed from a body of water two ways areation and deep sand beds. you have somewhat of a dsb so ill hit areation. (My experience in this comes from snowmaking in the ski industry) atomization is the best form of areation. ALL impurities will leave water upon when it is atomized and the water will condense back onto a condensation nuclei (dust, sand We use silver iodine for snow) Nitrates and nitrite will just disperse into the atmosphere, as will amonia just not as well this has to do with the atomic interaction between O and NO (ozone does this too and is capable of removing these without the atomization it only needs areation or surface tension on bubbles. My two cents says figure out a way to agitate your water more either surface on in a sump some how. get that waterfall or waves crashing on the rocks effect which moderately atomizes your water and will allow your trates to come down.
And anthem can rip into this all he wants, if I'm mistaken I want to know and The man knows his sh*t!! If you want an education in saltwater, just do a search using his number and sit back and read. I did and I damn sure dont regret it. actually that goes for most of the sharks on this forum!

broomer5

Read my signature
No need for flame wars
Have fun
marc42fe
I've never heard of atomizing water into small sized droplets as a way to remove other chemical compounds. I'm assuming it would have to be at the molecular level for any covalent or ionic bonding to be broken ?
Interesting - any info you have on this I'd be interested in reading about it.

marc42fe

2257 replies, think maybe hes been down this road once or twice? Id say thats almost a book all for nothing no pay nothing all out of the goodness of his heart and a desire to help others suceed and not make the mistakes he and countless others have. How can you read an attitude into that? Because he said "I'll say it again." well he is saying it again for the umpteenth time.
Bromer I.ll see what I can find this all comes from a sewage process that is being developed for use in areas that really need to recycle their water . we considered trying it as a way of making snow but our local yokels would have no part of it even after the science behind it was presented to them.

broomer5

nope - no editing here on my part - just a casual observer wearing the moderator's striped shirt and whistle around my neck, and asking for more information on the aeration topic.

marc42fe

Sorry, I'm on vacation right now, just got married and such. all the info I need is at work and I'll try to find it, unfortunatly this all happened about 3 years ago and was dropped after protest from the local residents about skiing on exfoliant snow (they golf on exfoliant grass and don't seem to mind) so it may take some time. when I go back I have more work then 10 people can handle and probably won't be within a mile of my office until ski season. I will get it when I can. so brommer please be patient with this it is pretty cool and very radical, albeit it is more for a level of a towns worth of waste (1,000,000g per day) but Im sure with some creative thought it could be applied to this industry, it's based on atomization (like a perfume sprayer) not just areation though. My observations for areation are based on my tank and what my trate levels are at depending on how much drop I leave in my filter and I test my water at our treatment plant on my way to work, which is where i met the chemist who turned me on to this whole thing. I have seen something on it on the discovery channel or one like it at one point a while back though. give me some time.

doodle1800

ok - I'm reading all this and wondering why everyone is at each other here - this isn't a sports debate on whether the Bears will beat the Packers in the next 10 years. We all know they will :) .
Anyways - I'm new here, trying to make a simple marine aqua succeed. I've failed 3 or times before and the wife is tired of my spending habits with all this. Now I have the internet to help me, I hope. I have a small setup - and will graduate to a 75 gal if this works. Presently I have a undergravel filter, an outside filter, and crushed coral. I was advised to remove the UGF and replace it with sand, arogonite, live rock, sand, etc.... DSB - is this the term? Tank is doing good so far - 2 weeks into it with one damsel showing no stress - yet. Should I rip it down and put a DSB in there? Or just let it go and graduate to the 75 in 6 months?
Remember - this is a "new hobbyist" forum - so be tolerant.