Flushing effect w/stockman (squidd or anyone!!)

escape2thewater

I cannot get one of my overflows to stop the flushing effect. I have moved the drain under the water llevel & completely out of the water. I have adjusted the height of the pipe & adjusted the airhole with no luck. I have even tried diffrenbt size holes (square) inside the standpipe. What else can I try? I am running 2 overflows now & one is working perfectly but one has this flushing problem, (The water level raises up & down) The only way to stop it is to allow more air into it but then its a loud gurgle again...

Help!
Escape

squidd

I am running 2 overflows now & one is working perfectly but one has this flushing problem,
Two on the same tank??
In two seperate overflow boxes or in the same chamber..?
Same size...? (both 1" or 1x1" and 1x 3/4"..??)

escape2thewater

Originally Posted by Squidd
Two on the same tank??
In two seperate overflow boxes or in the same chamber..?
Same size...? (both 1" or 1x1" and 1x 3/4"..??)
Yes 2 on the same tank. In 2 separate overflow boxes into the same sump. Both 1" tubes.
I have never been able to get my overflows to work correctly, I have only ever silenced them by restricting the drain. I want to have it "right" now.
I had one box with 2 j-tubes and a 1.25" drain but it was loud. It was suggested to me that when you push that much water through them they can get kinda loud so I had an extra box & plumbing parts laying around & hooked it all up today and here I am.
Escape

escape2thewater

Originally Posted by acrylic51
Is your drain line to your sump submerged?

I tried it submerged & above the water level, it makes little to no difference.

squidd

one is working perfectly but one has this flushing problem,
What are the differences (if any) between the two...?
Height, material, sizing...?

escape2thewater

Ok I tried a different (bigger) inner box and the "flushing" stopped but it is still very noisy, the same problem I started with. It is either loud from not enough air going in from sucking it underneath the intake pipe or enough air gets in but it is very noisy through the air vnet hole with a sucking/gurgling sound.

Heres a pic of the overflows im currently using. As you can see one is slightly smaller then the other (left). It also IS the one making all the noise. It has a 1" drain & the right one has a 1.25" drain. The left outter box is about 2 inches shorter in height then the right one also.
Escape

escape2thewater

Ok I pretty much got it figured out. I ended up fitting a piece of airline tubing snuggly through the cap on the standpipe. It goes down about an inch or so past the drain hole in the pipe and the rest just sticks out of the cap(about a 1/2" or so). I adjusted it up & down until I found "the sweet spot" and it works ok. I still would like it a bit more quiet but its the best i've done so far by a long shot. Its not as quiet as limiting the drain but oh well....at least its done "right"
Escape
PS - if you have any other ideas please let me know.
PSS - I also built a Hofer Gurgle buster standpipe, it didnt work. I guess I have too much flow for that, it just backs up and overflows.

squidd

Here's a maybe....???
The gurgle/hiss can come from water splashing on air vent if it's too close to "flow" in T of Durso...raising it can help...
Keyed in by "airline" fix you mentioned...
Other suggestion, do you use an adjustable air valve, or just a drilled hol to adjust durso...?
An adjustable valve may help you dial in on the sweet spot where going from one hole to the next size may "miss" it ...