fluval 303

junbug1970

I am thinking about buying fluval 303 with 3 stage. what do you put in there? is for my 38gal reef tank. I do have a refigium and seaclone 150 and a penguin 110 and 50lbs of lr and 60lbs of ls.
do i even need fluval? i used to have a magnum 220 which i now use it for my 75FO tank and i was thinking of getting this fluval to replace my magnum for my reef setup.
thanks

harley387

I just bought a Fluval 303 for water polishing. I also have about 125 lbs of live rock. I have found that the 303 works friggen great with some carbon and chemi-pure. JMHO

aarone

i guess you could go with the flval to keep the water clean, but alot of LR and a protein skimmer will do just as good of a job.

junbug1970

great all. thank you for all of your help. I did endup purchasing one through ---- for $40 include shipping for new in the box.
Is always better to improve water quality in my opinion in any which possible.
:)

shanev

junbug
Is always better to improve water quality in my opinion in any which possible
Depends on what you are getting rid of. A canister filter tends to clean out the fine particles in the water. IMO these fine particles are Coral food, so you can deprive your corals from some extra food. IMO water can be too clean in a reef.

junbug1970

IMO water can be too clean in a reef.
do you mean water CAN'T be too clean?
IMO these fine particles are Coral food, so you can deprive your corals from some extra food.
hmmmm. good point. so i shouldn't use it?
i was thinking of hooking this up to my 10 gal refigium.

shanev

No I think the water can be too clean for a reef. Some reef critters are filter feeders, if you remove all the stuff from the water what will they eat?
For a fuge I would advise against it if you are looking to cultivate pods. I dont know what the survival rate for pods going through a canister filter but it cant be too good.
Like I said this is only my opinion,Im sure someone will disagree with me.

shanev

it will work as a bio filter, but IMO live rock will be a better bio-filter.
My main concern on a fuge would be pods getting filtered out. If your not worried about pods that wont matter.