Fluval 404 Media - Reef Tank

diggerules

I am in the military and move around. I bought the Fluval 404 in PA. I now got to MD where I am stationed and the LFS is like no you don't want a cannister filter. He is recommending I just run it empty and use it for basically water flow. That is an expensive power head.
If you are using a fluval on a reef tank please let me know what media you are using and what success you have had with it. Thanks
Greg

bsmith219

i have a fluval i run the bio media they sell and carbon every once in a while and the filters they have. works fine just make sure you clean it often. what size tank you have? do you have a protein skimmer? what kind of reef you planing on having?

dapak83

i also have the fluval filter... ive had it running for about a yr with out a skimmer!! i just set it up as it was labled on the box... and havent cleand it as of yet! seems ok and all my levels are just dandy! :-D

sandman1966

I too have been using a 404 for over a year clean it every 10 days or so and run it as per directions that came with it the carbon the ceramic bio media and sponges and i have not had any problems yet . just keep it clean.

diggerules

I have a 65gal tank. Right now I have been cleaning it about once a week. when I do my weekly water change.
I just see that there is so much other media for it. I right now have (from the bottom tray up) Pre-filter media, carbon and biomax in the top two.
I was just curious how people were running theirs and weather or not there was success.
Thanks for the replies.