Fluval 404 Or Sealife Wet/dry

gotfish

NEW TO FISHIN AND BUYING A TANK IN THE MORNING.
I WENT TO 10 LOCAL STORES SOME CHAINS AND SOME SPECIALTY SHOPS ?
SHOULD I GET A UNDERGRAVEL OR A FLUVAL 404 OR A SEALIFE WET/DRY.

surfnturf

None of the above. Buy a good skimmer, one rated for twice your tank size (they are overrated by the mfr.) Get 4 inches of arragonite based sand and use 1 to 1.5 lbs per gallon of live rock to cycle the tank. When ammonia and nitrite read zero, then you can buy 1 fish, wait till those levels reach zero and stay at zero for a week then pick out another one. Remember, 1 inch of fish for 5 gallons of water, don't overstock and don't overfeed. Get the highest wattage of lighting you can that will fit on the tank. Good luck.

viper12775

i have a sealife system wet/dry i took all the bio balls out and just used it for a sump so i had a place to put my skimmer never use an undergravel filter more problems than its worth i also had a fluval 304 it worked ok it's on my fo tank now what kind of tank are you setting up

slick

First of all if you have never kept sw creatures then you need to slow down and spend some time learning from here and some good books. I know this is hard but if you want a nice looking tank with healthy animals you need to do this. I personally have 4 inches of argonite sand in the bottom of my tank and 1lb of live rock per gallon. Plus I have a wet dry. There are so many options on this. I recomend doing a search on filtration and see which way you want to go.

N

newreefers

in your opinion are the sea life wet/dry filters junk?

viper12775

no i dont think there junk there priced right and they have a lifetime warranty i wish i had a bigger one the skimmer takes up all the room i would recomend them