fluval 404 v.s. Emperor

fishman0729

what do you guys is better source of filtration, a fluval 404 or an emperor filter(bid model). I have the fluval but i am debating on selling it and getting a emperor. I had the fluval on a 55, and all it gave me was headaches. If there was a sudden power outage the fluval was not start again unlesss i opened it and messed around with the impeller. Also it would just stop working out of the blue after only a couple of days.... I want to start a 29 and i am looking for some advice on what i should use as filtration in addition with LR and LS.
Thanks for all the advice....this site rocks!!!!!

fishman0729

i emailed the company and they replied saying to send them the motor unit and they will fix it or replace it for no charge.

bahamianme

I just had to replace my Fluval 204. for my 30g tank. the motor just stop. I don't know anything about the Emperior. But would like to know anything about it.

wrassecal

I use an Emperor 400 on my 55gal and an Emperor 280 on the 20 gal. I have never had any problems with either one of them. They have been easy to maintain, start back up after turning off for water changes etc. I recommend them. HTH

I totally agree with Wrassecal. I have owned an Emporer 400 for 5 yrs. and have found it to be a wonderfull filter. May I add that this is the only Emporer that I have bought, and it is still doing great. I don't think you can go wrong with it. With proper maintanance it will last you for at least as long as I have had it, and more.

frankl15207

Threw my Emperor 400 into the garbage can and replaced it with a Fluval 404. The Emperor was spewing bubbles into the tank and Marineland's technical support was useless (one side did and the other side didn't).

Frank,
Sounds like maybe your level and/or setting was not correct. I run twin 400's and have never had any problems. I have seen 400's that spray bubbles in the tank and it was caused by low water level and the flow valve on low setting.
404's are good too....important thing is, if your filter is doing a great job keeping your tank healthy..then it is a great filter...simple as that ;)

frankl15207

I spent two weeks back and forth with Marineland on this. Half of the filter worked properly and the other half didn't. No one should have to spend more time trying to get a filter to function properly than the time spent on maintaining an entire tank. I know others have not had a problem with this filter. I did. The people that made it couldn't figure it out and wouldn't replace it.
I found out after I tossed it that the guy that runs an aquarium maintenance business in conjunction with my LFS will not service an Emperor on any tank that he maintains for the same reason.
My LFS will not sell them for that reason. It is the ONLY Marineland product that he will not stock.
I thoroughly enjoyed trashing it and would never recommend it to anyone. That's my opinion based on my personal experience and money not at all well spent.