fluval 404

spafeature

have 75gal reef and tomorrow CPR HO-Fuge is coming! Going to put in some culp, lr, ls and 2 mangroves.
Right now in fluval i have bio-noodles, carbon and phos remover. I'm a little skeptical about the bio-noodle (pre-filter media) as i've been told it is a breeding ground for phosphates and nitrates.
What would you recommend fluval set-up to be?

usinkit

If you have liverock i would take the bio-noodles out. You wont nned them with the liverock. Just use the fluva to run carbon and for flow.

X

xrobbx03

If you dont have a skimmer yet i suggest to get one. IMO since i have put one on my tank there has a been a big difference in the water. IMO if you add a skimmer then plus the fuge all you really would have to run in that 404 would be some carbon. But thats just my two cents you might want to wait for a more experienced reefer to answer.

spafeature

will fluval run corectly w/out bio-media? LFS said no. I just want to have carbon and phos-remover.
Have a skimmer and LR (only about 60lbs---but am curing 45lbs more).

nm reef

I belive any type of bio-media is deisgned to cultivate nitrates...which is used to complete the ammonia cycle. Over time they all eventually become saturated and can actually contribute to excessive nitrates. For that reason alone I'd avoid the use of bio-medias...there are much more effective means of nitrate control for marine systems. If you must use the fluval then I'd suggest carbon or other types of replaceable media.

flamehawk

Unfortunately LFS is misinformed. FLuval will run even better without the bio balls to interupt water flow. I have used fluval primarily for water flow for years with nothing in it most of the time. Occassionally run carbon through it. WOrks great.

fishamajig

i used to run a fluval 304 on my 30 gal reef. it did get rid of some particle matter and introduced some flow to the tank . you have to be very disciplined about rinsing the sponge on the inside of the canister, so place it in an area that isnt a pain in the neck to get to. if you want to run something in the media baskets carbon and phosguard, i used to primarily run purigen. i switched my 30 gal reef for a 125 and the canister was no longer needed. now i run fluidized filters.

spafeature

ok--so bye bye bio. are the ammonia insterts worth it? i do like the waterflow so am going to keep it--plus like the idea of being able to run carbon and phos-remover.

dejaco

When you run your fluval try not using the foam pads inside. Run and replace carbon
regularly. With the baskets stacked up you can simply rotate the replacement schedule.
Good luck.

spafeature

why no foam inserts--also while we are on it--have a cpr bio-pak skimmer. one chamber has the blue ribbon---what does it do---do i need it--can i stick my heater in there?