fluval canister filters

c dog

i was thinking about having a new fluval canister as my primary filter for a FO with a little lr. do u guys think its a good idea how big shud i get and how much does it cost and wat should i fill the compartments with???????????????
:confused:

The Fluvals come in different sizes, get one that handles at least the size of your tank. You can get them on-line but only go for the 104, 204, 304 0r 404 series, my reading indicates the "03" series have some problems. When you buy be sure the unit comes with media. Check out Bob Fenner's book, The Contientious Aquarist, before you even start your tank.

fishface

I have had the 404 model on my 54 gal.corner tank and have had no problems of any kind.Easy to clean,media isnt too expensive (online)and is really quiet.

c dog

but the main thing i was wondering is could i have it for a 55 gal FOWL and ls but have it as the only filter and would that be alright what im trying to say is lets say i set up my 55 with the fluval as my onmly filter would that be okay?

fishface

My 54 corner has only room for the fluval underneath,beautiful tank (but no room)It has been up and running great for the last 6 months with no problem.I did however add an additional powerhead to keep things moving though.Also have about 35 lbs of live rock.No other filters, si I think you would be OK.Just try to get one little bigger than you think you need :p

HI, I run this 404 and 303 piggybacked, 404 has cocconut carbon and regular carbon, then goes into 303 with only material to catch large particles. I use no noodels as I have 100LBS of LS and 150LBS of LR for filtration. Easy to change and do this to the 303 fiber only every 2 weeks, 404 rinse off carbon monthly. Very easy to do with the fluval with min water spillage, only a few drops...cya

jtirone

I have a 404 on my 54 corner too. I use a powerhead to circulate the water, and a bakpak 2r.
My tank has been doing great.
I would recommend putting fluff in 1 or 2 on the chambers tho. My water is crytal clear ever since I did that.

ironreef

using a fluval for mechanical/chemical filtration =carbon is fine but the most important filter is biological so you will need some LR and using LS mixed with dead adds to the bio filter. Less filtration is better = biological is a must can't have anything without skimmer is probally better than fluval but fluval will work. But my point is you don't need uv,ozone,fludized bed ,wet dry ect... all of them, Fluval with lr will be fine