Fluval filter media suggestions please

dustintx

I started a new 10 gallon fowlr about 4 days ago. Already has nitrites working and ammonia going down. I need some advice on what type of filter media to put in my fluval 205? At the moment it has a sponge,fluval clearmax and carbon.

aquaria

While cycling, I would not run the carbon or clear max! I would just run with the biological media until the cycle is over.
After your cycle is over, i would most certainly run chemi-pure instead of actives carbon.
Also i have learned the hard way, but after your cycle you have to clean your canister at least every week or two to prevent waste build up!
This could cause a possible nitrate or phosphate problem.
It is also same to run a fine sponge during your cycle to collect any silt particles in the water column.

aquaria

Yeah that should be fine!
I just set my tank up about 9 weeks ago, so my tank is still relatively new as well.
Running chemical filtration during the cycle can just throw it off.
If you are going to run the sponge or fine filter floss, just make sure to clean it about every 7-10 days to make sure its not clogged with a bunch of garbage!
Once your cycled, add all of your filter media right away then wait a couple days to make sure your water quality is where you want it to be!
Keep us updated