Fluval problem

ogren1

My 404 is giving me problems right now, I hope someone can help me! I just did a cleaning of the filter, connected it back up and pulled the lever down and NO WATER flowed into the fluval. No matter what I do, I can't get ANY water into the Fluval. I've down this over a dozen times with no problems. Any suggestions...thanks!

mj

I would try to either re-prime your pump or change your tubing. I have the same pump and it has been one of the best I have every had.

scrapman

Both your in and out outlets must be under the water for the system to work. If one is out of the water, you have a problem.... refill.. reprime.. etc.

maeistero

i've about kicked a hole in my 304 and 404 several times but i keep thinking i may need them later. mine suck at starting siphon also and then magically work. i still can't figure out what jump starts them.
3yrs of searching and i believe that maybe replacing the corrugated tubing with solid may be what my problem is. pinhole somewhere. :thinking:
freshhex and turtle tank btw. they take to much cleaning and frustration restarting for most salty people. been there, done that.

socal57che

If the pump is cavitating it will not start the siphon. use the primer vigorously and alternate plugging the unit in and using the primer. allowing the pump to run dry is not good fot it so only allow it to try for a few seconds before starting the process over.

socal57che

I started filling my 404s (I have 2) with tank water before installing the lid/pump and priming is easy now, starting by itself nearly every time.

b bauer

close the valve almost all the way then wait a few min then open it all the way.re priming is the only problem with this filter.

P

phishface

I have 2 of them, or should say had. That was always a problem......but the biggest problem was when they just quit altogether. First one, then a week later the other, But, I was really only using them for circulation. Ive since replaced them with Pwr heads. Good luck :happyfish

pchromis

I have been thinking of eliminating my 304. I have plenty of water movement because of power heads. Except for the occasional carbon use, it is being used primarily to filter the water crap at the surface. I can't see how power heads alone can keep the surface clean.
Is there any other means to keeping the surface clean?

dmcrete

have you looked at the exterior of your canister, you have to match up the inscriptions on upper and lower canister, fill to top, prime, plug and play??

maeistero

Originally Posted by pchromis
I have been thinking of eliminating my 304. I have plenty of water movement because of power heads. Except for the occasional carbon use, it is being used primarily to filter the water crap at the surface. I can't see how power heads alone can keep the surface clean.
Is there any other means to keeping the surface clean?
surface agitation is the end of the nitrates. powerheads or some flow pointed upward foams it up into the air or your skimmer will catch it.

pchromis

I have a surface skimmer for the Fluval... So you're saying,,that pointing a ph towards the surface will eliminate the surcface gunk?