Fluval? Skimmer? Hmmmmm????

norcal

OK plain and simple i want some ideas for filtration for a 55 FO tank without live rock. im looking to spend the least amount possible. so any ideas will be very much appreciated. i really want a HOB fuge but i dont think it would be big enough. so shoot away

birdy

Are you going to at least have baserock in the tank?
If you cannot even afford the basics in this hobby maybe you should rethink having a tank at all. Not to be rude but this is not a cheap hobby.

norcal

Originally Posted by Birdy
Are you going to at least have baserock in the tank?
If you cannot even afford the basics in this hobby maybe you should rethink having a tank at all. Not to be rude but this is not a cheap hobby.
:notsure: :notsure: :notsure: :notsure: :notsure: :notsure: :notsure: :notsure:
thanks for the advice...i was planning on putting in no rock and i didnt realize this was an expensive hobby. Good thing i know that now, guess i wont be having a tank.
but seriously..........
I have a tank running back at home in California that my parent are watching for me. Im in Hawaii now for at least a year working and want to set up another 55 gal. i wanted to go nano reef but live rock and coral is illegal to have in a tank here in Hawaii. so that is my situation.
Yeah i was thinking wet dry too, that was what is on my tank in cali and it didnt do real well (never got my levels all the way down. but then again it was kind of a crappy one(millenium). any suggestion on good wet drys? i have a seaclone on my tank in cali and it didnt really do anything at all so far. but im thinking if its fish only i might not even need a skimmer as long as the wetdry is really good. do you think that would work or do you think both are definetly necessary?
oh and by the way im not poor, i am just trying to keep my costs down as much as possible. i would never intentionally have insufficient equipt for a tank.

birdy

No need to be a smart ---, you wouldn't believe how many kids get on this board with no money at all and want to set up a tank.
Can you use baserock? I just cannot imagine setting up a tank with nothing in it, not good for the fish. As long as you have baserock it will function as LR after time. There is a guy that actually sells baserock out of Hawaii, very nice stuff.
Are you asking about HOB filters or can you set up a sump? If you can do a sump then that is the way I would go. I would just make my own if it were me. A wet/dry and a good skimmer and a tank full of good hawaii baserock would make a very nice tank.
Biggest suggestions would be to not skimp on the skimmer, ASM skimmers are very good for the money, but they are in sump models.

sw65galma

Originally Posted by norcal
:notsure: :notsure: :notsure: :notsure: :notsure: :notsure: :notsure: :notsure:
thanks for the advice...i was planning on putting in no rock and i didnt realize this was an expensive hobby. Good thing i know that now, guess i wont be having a tank.
but seriously..........
I have a tank running back at home in California that my parent are watching for me. Im in Hawaii now for at least a year working and want to set up another 55 gal. i wanted to go nano reef but live rock and coral is illegal to have in a tank here in Hawaii. so that is my situation.
Yeah i was thinking wet dry too, that was what is on my tank in cali and it didnt do real well (never got my levels all the way down. but then again it was kind of a crappy one(millenium). any suggestion on good wet drys? i have a seaclone on my tank in cali and it didnt really do anything at all so far. but im thinking if its fish only i might not even need a skimmer as long as the wetdry is really good. do you think that would work or do you think both are definetly necessary?
oh and by the way im not poor, i am just trying to keep my costs down as much as possible. i would never intentionally have insufficient equipt for a tank.
What fish are you planning on keeping?
This will help a lot...
If you plan on keeping a few fish...I'd say...make a diy Fuge and a few powerheads in the tank and you'd be good...Toss some Base rock $1/lb in the fuge and one piece of lr in there with it...Done..
No skimmer, no filter...

norcal

sorry to be a smart--- birdy. i was just a little offended by the comments. i know you arent trying to offend though and i really appreciate the advice. would a 20 gal sump/fuge be worth it??? or is that too small?? ok the thing about the sump/fuge is that i have absolutely no idea how to make one on my own. i would love to have a sump, but dont know how to do the plumbing and all that good stuff. it sounds like the best and least costly option though. how about a cpr bakpak 2?? do you guys know anything about these. ive heard they are very good and are a good price. as for the fish i want...well not totally sure yet. probably a dwarf angel and a couple other smaller fish. i also can catch fish here in hawaii, it is legal so i may look into that too. oh would a purple tilefish be too big for a 55? if not i would love one of those they are like my dream fish! hard to take care of i have heard though. sw65 would just a fuge with that rock be enough alone?? if so that sounds like a very good bet as well. how much would you estimate it would cost me to get a setup like that up and running if i could figure out how to biuld one??
thanks again
ps. i was joking about not having any rock by the way. i will definetly put some base rock in there. just cant have live rock. (but im sure i could figure out a way to get 1 piece to put into my fuge if i go that route :thinking: )

norcal

oh and how about a cpr cr500 wetdry filter??? anyone have any good or bad experience with those???

birdy

If you are going to try to get away with not having a skimmer (it can be done) then I would do a fuge out of a 20gallon aquarium, it can be done DIY very easily.
All you need is a HOB overflow, some sort of container for the fuge (aquarium or even a heavy duty rubbermaid will work). A light for the fuge and a return pump (like a mag 7).
It is really super easy, and can be cheap. I really feel a skimmer is a good thing to have, but you can get by without one for a while especially if you are diligent about water changes.
There are very few HOB skimmers I like, I have a cpr and I am not that impressed honestly. the Aqua C remora is a good one though.

sw65galma

All you need is a Hang on the back overflow.... and a small pump as a return...
You will only need one flexible hose from the over flow down...Then a small submerisble pump with a hose that goes back up to your tank...
A 20 gallon fuge would be worth it....Get some Macro and toss it in there as well as the rocks...and you're good to go...

norcal

ok so an overflow,a hose, a 20 gal tank and a pump to get the water back. so how does the water get down to the fuge. is there like an ongoing siphon from the tube thats in the overflow. that doesnt really make sense to me. would it be better to get two pumps and throw one in the overflow that pumps to the fuge, then the other pumping from the fuge back to the tank?? also do i need to make compartments in a fuge or is it just one big happy tank full of rock and macroalagae?? sorry for all the Q's but like i said i really dont understand these things very well. (starting to get a better idea already though.)
thanks again for the input

sw65galma

ok so an overflow,a hose, a 20 gal tank and a pump to get the water back. so how does the water get down to the fuge. is there like an ongoing siphon from the tube thats in the overflow. that doesnt really make sense to me. would it be better to get two pumps and throw one in the overflow that pumps to the fuge, then the other pumping from the fuge back to the tank?? also do i need to make compartments in a fuge or is it just one big happy tank full of rock and macroalagae?? sorry for all the Q's but like i said i really dont understand these things very well. (starting to get a better idea already though.)
thanks again for the input
Yes there is a continous siphon..don't ask how that works...it just does, mystery of water..
But the reason that is better than pumps is that it only returns water that overflows (by the pump)
Otherwise you'd have to balance out 2 pumps that pump the EXACT amount of water back and forth...even 1 gallon per hour difference would put 1 gallon per hour all over your floor..
That's why the overflows are best...
You don't have to partition it if yon don't want to. I'd just put LS, LR and macro in it.. and a light on top..can even be the cheap aquarium lights that cost like $20-$30

norcal

so i need an overflow in the tank and the fuge? or do i just need an overflow in the fuge, and siphon water straight out of the tank? wow so i have to probe a little bit here, the siphon just magically takes out the right amount of water....thats really cool but hard to believe. does it matter how thick the siphon is??

sw65galma

so i need an overflow in the tank and the fuge? or do i just need an overflow in the fuge, and siphon water straight out of the tank? wow so i have to probe a little bit here, the siphon just magically takes out the right amount of water....thats really cool but hard to believe. does it matter how thick the siphon is??

1 Overflow in the tank..that's it...
One pump from the fuge back to the tank...that's it...
Without getting into fluid dynamics....the overflow (In the tank) will only take the water the pump (in the fuge) sends back up to the tank...
Simple...don't make it too hard...

birdy

do a search for lifereef overflows, they are very good, it will make more sense once you see one, it is not just a siphon, they are designed to stop siphoning water if you power turns off.

norcal

k i got it now, thanks for the explanation. now i just need to figure out if im going to go that route or not. i havent had a chance to get to my lfs but will soon.