Fluval wont prime....

inthabayou

I bought a new fluval 304 canister filter the other day (Petsmart had it on sale for 50 bucks)... But after I assembled it I can't get the p[rimer to function properly to start the filter... Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?

fixed

With my canister filters, not Fluvials, I first fill the canister with tank water, then put the top on and fill the tube from the tank. That works much better than trying to fill it up just through the tube.

rainfishy

On the instruction manual there is an 800 number. They will help you. They were so helpful when I was having problems. They literally stayed on the phone with me while they walked me through problem solving while I was doing it. Great customer service!!!

dragonzim

Originally Posted by Fixed
With my canister filters, not Fluvials, I first fill the canister with tank water, then put the top on and fill the tube from the tank. That works much better than trying to fill it up just through the tube.
I had to prime my Eheim canister in the same fashion. Once I filled the actual canister with tank water the pump had something to move to get the siphon started.

firedog

Make sure the hose doesn't make a "U" at the bottom. I sometimes have trouble restarting the siphon because the excess hose makes a small U and the siphon won't continue. Try holding the hose so that it is above the top of the canister and work the priming handle. Once the water starts flowing you shouldn't have a problem.

martinc909

I have the same kind of Fluval. What I had to do is that there shouldn't be alot of excessive hose. What I did was pump the thing until water started to come out of the whole where the primer is at then I would plug it in and it would start right up. It takes about 5 minutes or more.
Hope that helped.

A

anthonynyc

Originally Posted by Firedog
Make sure the hose doesn't make a "U" at the bottom. I sometimes have trouble restarting the siphon because the excess hose makes a small U and the siphon won't continue. Try holding the hose so that it is above the top of the canister and work the priming handle. Once the water starts flowing you shouldn't have a problem.
Yes, good advice. The canister should be below the water level.
Thanks,
Anthony

cigar101

I had a simular problem just make sure the return fitting is just above the water line when you plug it in then pump the primer lever 7 or 8 times and it will start to flow. then secure the return below the water line.

cowfishrule

my 304 doesnt always prime with an empty box.
when i clean the cannister, i fill it up with what would be new water, seal it up, and start it up.
never any problems this method.