Flying gunard

cubfan

Has anyone had or have any experience with keeping a flying gunard (Dactylopterus volitans)? They are on sale here at SWF.com and look like a very interesting fish. I still have a 150 gallon extra high with 2 V. lions and am looking for that elusive final piece, then I saw these. Any opinions?

fishy411

awesome fish. Looks like it will need a tight lid though. hop eu have one. It should be a nice addition to yur Volitans

swman

He does look pretty cool. I say go for it and get it. It should be ok with your other V lions.:)

boalgf

They are really hardy fish that eat inverts, crustaceans, and possibly other smaller fishes. They are a lot like lions, being able to train them to eat frozen foods. They can get almost 2 feet though and at full size a 180g tank is the recommended size. Also, like lions you shouldn't try and handle them or net them without caution. They aren't poisonous, but they have armor like scales, are extremely strong, and have hooks near their gills that get easily caught in nets. Great fish to keep though, my neighbor has one and he says it cleans uneaten food from the bottom of his tank better than any crab could. :happyfish

cubfan

2 feet , huh. I'll keep researching, but a 2 foot fish in a 4 foot tank doesn't sound all that appealing to me. Granted my tank dimensions are 4ft x 2ft x 30in, but sounds like it could end up being a tight fit for the fish. thanks for the info.

boalgf

Well it's more like 1 foot 6-8 inches. A 6 foot tank would def be better though. Sorry to turn you away from the fish, they really are awesome looking.

cubfan

That's what these forums are all about. Get the stuff i need to make an informed decision. Maybe that's why fish don't needlessly die at my house. Haven't ruled out the flying fish yet, still in the research phase.