flying home with corals?

baloo6969

Silly question...
Airports require all liquids to be in one quartsized ziplock bag...obviously because of the thousands of liquid explosives or flamable materials out there...totaly understand, and agree with it.
But, what if I were to stumble over a coral when out of town?
i'd rather not ship home.
A sensible tsa official would probably see a bag, with a live fish and be able to say that the liquid is safe...but most officals wouldent know a coral from a chunk of rocks.
Has anyone RECENTLY taken a coral on a plane?

The problem is its hard to find a sensible TSA agent. I would call the airline and ask about it and see what they say, and if they say its fine to carry on carry it on but visit the airport police booth and ask there as well, they may be able to hook you up with the info or assistance you need.

t316

My guess is, it doesn't matter if there is a fish in there, or a coral. The law is very clear that only "x" amount of ounces of "any" liquid is permitted. I am 100% certain of this as far as carry on is concerned, but it may be possible for checked luggage, I really don't know about that.

trouble93

Originally Posted by baloo6969
http:///forum/post/3229075
Silly question...
Airports require all liquids to be in one quartsized ziplock bag...obviously because of the thousands of liquid explosives or flamable materials out there...totaly understand, and agree with it.
But, what if I were to stumble over a coral when out of town?
i'd rather not ship home.
A sensible tsa official would probably see a bag, with a live fish and be able to say that the liquid is safe...but most officals wouldent know a coral from a chunk of rocks.
Has anyone RECENTLY taken a coral on a plane?
You maybe better off shipping it to yourself or over night it to a friend. All air port have those rules in place for a reason. And if they let you do it what's to stop the next guy that's not on the level?

btldreef

Technically, you're not just carrying water or a liquid onto the plane. You're carrying on livestock and that's going to be your issue. There are many rules about carrying plants and whatnot across state lines, almost 100% that you won't be allowed to take the coral on the plane.

bmkj02

Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///forum/post/3229315
Technically, you're not just carrying water or a liquid onto the plane. You're carrying on livestock and that's going to be your issue. There are many rules about carrying plants and whatnot across state lines, almost 100% that you won't be allowed to take the coral on the plane.
+1. You are crossing state lines and that becomes a federal issue not a state issue. Better check the airlines. Im pretty sure you can check it in as you would a pet (dog or a cat)

mr&mrs.o

If I were you, I would NOT ((((NOT NOT NOT
) check a FISH, ever!! Trust me!
However, a coral...if you are going to risk it, make sure you do a SUPER SUPER SUPER job of packing it to ensure your bag won't bust (you'll need something hard around it). Just know that it's a big risk to do it! Those bags get so thrown around, you wouldn't believe it.

bmkj02

If you check it in, it needs to be listed as pet/livestock. If not they will put in the a different compartment which could be freezing tempatures cause of the high altitude.

dockery07

You used to be able to do that with out much problem for Fish - we took a trip to hawaii before the 3oz rule and each had 8 fish in our carry on bags. One was a 12" Naso tang

trainfever

Before you leave for your trip, buy youself a widemouth thermos. Then pack the thermos with your luggage. If the cold is an issue, pick up a few handwarmers and pack them with the thermos.