Foam Sealant

xcali1985

Is Smartpond Waterfall Foam Sealant reef safe? If not Ive seen Great Stuff used but would prefer this one as its black sealant? Any one know anything about these.

2quills

I've been through several threads all over the net as I plan to build a partial rock wall myself. From what I understand is that yes the black pond foam is the way to go. The yellow great stuff foam will degrage after about 2 years. The way people try to combat that is to epoxy paint it and cover with sand. But according to one guy that I spoke with he's had the black pond foam in his tank for over 4 yeas now, hasn't painted it or anything and it's still just as good as when he first put it in.

xcali1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/385757/foam-sealant#post_3384729
I've been through several threads all over the net as I plan to build a partial rock wall myself. From what I understand is that yes the black pond foam is the way to go. The yellow great stuff foam will degrage after about 2 years. The way people try to combat that is to epoxy paint it and cover with sand. But according to one guy that I spoke with he's had the black pond foam in his tank for over 4 yeas now, hasn't painted it or anything and it's still just as good as when he first put it in.
Yea its for outdoor use. Its like 6x as much as regular great stuff foam.

flower

I used the black pond foam for making my rock wall. Wear doctor gloves, that black has to wear off if it gets on your hands

thepondguy87

I know this is a few days late, but make sure you keep some acetone nearby... if you get any on your skin, it is the ONLY chance you have of removing it before like someone else said, it gets stuck on your skin.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePondGuy87 http:///forum/thread/385757/foam-sealant#post_3388277
I know this is a few days late, but make sure you keep some acetone nearby... if you get any on your skin, it is the ONLY chance you have of removing it before like someone else said, it gets stuck on your skin.
LOL...That was me....so that's the magic secret for removal. Thanks I will remember that.

thepondguy87

I use that stuff for the waterfalls and ponds I build... but if you dont get the acetone onto it within a few minutes, as you know, you're done for! lol. It certainly is durable!

dow great stuff

I believe the product you are referring to is our GREAT STUFF Pond & Stone! This product is black and color and is used as an adhesive for water features…so I think you are on the right track. As far as clean up we just launched a new product called GREAT STUFF Work Wipes which will be available nationwide at Lowe’s in a few weeks. However, if you’d like, I’d be happy to send you each a few samples to try them out. They are awesome for cleaning up GREAT STUFF and lots of other messes! Let me know what else we can do to help! We’d love to share your pictures on our new Dow Great Stuff Facebook page as well…so please post them if you’d like! Kelly Chandler, Marketing Communications for Dow GREAT STUFF

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dow Great Stuff http:///forum/thread/385757/foam-sealant#post_3389682
I believe the product you are referring to is our GREAT STUFF Pond & Stone! This product is black and color and is used as an adhesive for water features…so I think you are on the right track. As far as clean up we just launched a new product called GREAT STUFF Work Wipes which will be available nationwide at Lowe’s in a few weeks. However, if you’d like, I’d be happy to send you each a few samples to try them out. They are awesome for cleaning up GREAT STUFF and lots of other messes! Let me know what else we can do to help! We’d love to share your pictures on our new Dow Great Stuff Facebook page as well…so please post them if you’d like! Kelly Chandler, Marketing Communications for Dow GREAT STUFF
I didn't use Great stuff....LOL...because I heard nothing but bad stuff about Great stuff. I used Touch n Foam Landscape exterior filler-adhesive....It is outdoor project foam