Foamboard under Acrylic tank?

cmack

I built my stand for my tank, it currently has 5/8 plywood for the top. Do I need a sheet of foamboard between the acrylic (180g) tank and the stand?

N

nluchau

If your stand is level I'd say no but if there are imperfections where part of the stand doesn't touch the tank I would definately use foam. This would help with the stress.
People say Level the Stand Not the Tank.

A

andretti

Most people do (especially W/acrylic). It just allows for a level surface and a snug fit between the stand and tank. Plus, it insulates the tank...helps keep it cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

acrylic51

Yes with acrylic tanks you should use styrofoam under the tank to support the bottom and it takes up any minor imperfections in the top of the stand as well... With a glass tank it's not as important to support the bottom due to the fact the pressure is at the corners of the tank, but wouldn't hurt on a glass tank either. Contact the manufacture of the tank and see what they recommend....It might or might not void your warranty

dogstar

I have a 180g acrylic that I put that blue insulation board under. its a little stronger kind of styrofoam. Mainly to support the whole bottom plus tempeture insulation is added benifit. Should make sure your stand has many cross support boards under the plywood.

cmack

Thanks for the info. After reading all the resposes, I was set to go to HD to buy a piece of 1/2 foamboard, but I figured I'd call the manufaturer first to make sure it wouldn't void the warranty. After talking with them (Tenecor), I am now not sure about it.
They said as long as the plywood top is level (and 3/4 or 5/8 thick), they suggest putting the tank directly onto the plywood surface. The reason being, the foamboard could have soft spots, which would cause the surface under the tank to nolonger be level. Water in Acrylic tanks has a habit of "finding" the weak spots in the support surface which would result in a point of higher pressure on the bottom of the tank.
Also he said if one of these weak spots was on an edge, the tank would pack it down and not be level anymore.
This is my first acrylic tank, so if anyone has any thoughts on Tenecor's statements, they would be appreciated.
Thanks again

robchuck

I was going to use 1/2" styrofoam under my acrylic tank, but the tank sat too close to the top of the opening in the wall when I first slid the tank in place. Instead, I used a sheet of an industrial waterproofing felt (about 1/8" thick). It's just thick enough to absorb any imperfections in the 3/4" plywood below. I relied on building a level stand rather than using foam to level the tank for me.

msd2

When I got my tank I also called around after talkin to my LFS because they suggested the styrofoam as well. The manufacturer told me something very similar to yours, and that the highly suggest metal stands over wood. And that if for some reason the tank did not sit level to only level it by the stand.

acrylic51

Originally Posted by cmack
Thanks for the info. After reading all the resposes, I was set to go to HD to buy a piece of 1/2 foamboard, but I figured I'd call the manufaturer first to make sure it wouldn't void the warranty. After talking with them (Tenecor), I am now not sure about it.
They said as long as the plywood top is level (and 3/4 or 5/8 thick), they suggest putting the tank directly onto the plywood surface. The reason being, the foamboard could have soft spots, which would cause the surface under the tank to nolonger be level. Water in Acrylic tanks has a habit of "finding" the weak spots in the support surface which would result in a point of higher pressure on the bottom of the tank.
Also he said if one of these weak spots was on an edge, the tank would pack it down and not be level anymore.
This is my first acrylic tank, so if anyone has any thoughts on Tenecor's statements, they would be appreciated.
Thanks again
Doesn't it void the warranty if you make your stand and not use their stands?

cmack

No, they were fine with me making my own, he just went through some basic construction suggestions (2x4, - 2x6 studs, center supports, etc).

N

nluchau

Originally Posted by acrylic51
Doesn't it void the warranty if you make your stand and not use their stands?

Acrylic51,
I believe you are right. Tank is voided if its placed on a DIY stand and something happens.

acrylic51

It all seems like a catch "22" to me.....These companies just keep raking you over the coals and getting that money....Stands are way to expensive for what your getting, and trust me you can build a heck of a lot better stand than what you'll find in the stores.....I am almost certain that with Tenecor and Oceanic they state that the warranty is void unless placed on their stand......