food for corals?

fishy7

Can anyone recommend some food for:
Zoos,
yellow polyps
pulsing xenia
hammer
I am using marine snow at the moment but would like to get some food for growth.
They are under MH and in the middle of the tank. All look good and healthy but looking for that extra kick.

travis89

I have a hammer, xenia, and zoos. I use phytoplankton which some will say isn't helpful but they all seem to do better since I started using it. I also have mushrooms which are growing a lot faster since I started using it.

speg

Best thing for all of those is good lighting and water changes. Some people have had success feeding pieces of fish/shrimp to their hammer corals... I havent been able to feed mine anything like that.. but its still doing fantastic!

lemonpeel2

I feed all my corals mostly just phtyoplankton, brine shrimp and mysis shrimp. And they suck it right down. I have noticed acceleration in growth since I started spot feeding them.

speg

Just keep in mind that most corals dont take in phytoplankton. Its more for filter feeders. =c) Most corals however will go nuts for zooplankton.

shoreliner11

Corals also feed on Dissolved Organic Matter thats in the water. You don't have to add anything for that other than have some fish which produce some sort of waste. This is also what protein skimmers remove from the water. Corals can feed on this to an extent but like everyone knows, generally sps corals don't like high levels of dissolved org. matter because this can also lead to high nitrates. The advice from others above is good as far as usefullness of phyto and zooplankton.
Good on ya
aaron

fishy7

Thanks guys for the insight. I just want to make sure that all are getting what they need! :joy: