Foolproof sump.

fishy411

what is the easiest most foolproof sump to make? I want to use a 10 gallon but if that is not big enough i could use a 20. It will be a 55 gallon tank. I dont know what kind of skimmer it is ( brendan if yur reading this feel free to chime in) but it didnt look too big. Do i need a fuge in it? Anyone have any plans.

donahue

I just made my own and what i did was I bought 2- 15 gallon rubbermaid container sense its goinng to be hidden anyway i wasnt to worried about cosmetics. One of them is being used for the sump and i cut the other one at the end taking about 5 inches off the end. I then cut off the entire side of the one i just cut and silicone glued it across the 5 inch edge so the it had 4 walls again. once it dried i cut several holes in the walls and stuck it in my other 15 gallon rubbermaid sump. let me know if that made no sense. goodluck

fishy411

why do u have to cut it and then silicone it on? can u use two different size tubs instead? so u basically have a smaller tub inside a larger one with holes cut in i tto allow flow between the two? Do u put the skimmer in the smaller one and then have a entry and return pipe at the ends. If that is it i think i got it.

donahue

i used two tubs just because they fit together. i dont see why you need to put the skimmer inside the small tub.

steveoutla

You can get a 20g long tank for $25.00 at Petsmart. You can get all of the acrylic you'll need for the sump/fuge below at Home Depot for $35.00. then all you need is a tube of silicone. This is a pretty good deal at around $70.00 total.