For 6 weeks Clown will not eat

threenemos

I have tried everything I can think of to get my clown to eat (false percula).
He has
- frozen Mysis
- frozen enriched Brine
- two kinds of pellets (large and small)
- some flakes
- emerald entree
For the six weeks I have had him, I have never seen him actively eat, but he has maintained energey levels of a clown, so I have tried not to worry about it.
I do not know what he has been eating this entire time honestly...
When I feed him, he is excited when he sees me coming with food and then takes food in his mouth and spits it out and is not interested anymore.
Now he is starting to look skinny where I can see his spine becoming more pronounced...
HELP!

speg

Well he has had to eat something.. fish just cant live for 6 weeks without any food.. so at least he knows he is hungry =c)
Have you tried cyclop-eeze whole freeze dried ? This food is absolutely perfect for clown fish. It may be a bit on the high-priced side.. but one 4 oz can will last most people for a year or more. Around here its $10.
www.cyclopeeze.com for some info on it.. im sure your lfs carries it, if not several places online sell it.

threenemos

You are right, he has been eating something... but I have not witnessed it and I was not worried (or tried not to worry) until I have started to notice him getting skinny.
I will try this like you mention. Thanks for the input.
Does anyone else have ideas or comments?

crazy4reefs

if the cyclop-eeze does not work try soaking some of the frozen food in some garlic juice. either regular garlic with water in a jar from your local food store or you can get Kent Garlic Extreme from your lfs or online. the food soaked in garlic usually does a good job to entice a stubborn fish to eat.
good luck !

fedukeford

i have 2 false percs. and most of the time they just eat the flakes... but sometimes i also see them eating algea of the back of the tank . could yous posibley be eating algea too??

threenemos

It seems like he is even more past the food stage than ever. He is weak and just watching it go by, not interested. He never has been inerested in food for some reason.

snailheave

it was sick from the beginning. attempting to eat and spitting out food right after is a sympton of a certain disease whose name escapes me at the moment...

threenemos

Originally Posted by Speg
Well did you try the cyclop-eeze or not?
The fish passed away last night.
The local fish store did not have cyclop-eeze.
I found the cyclop-eeze on line and it was $30 to ship (had to be overnight) so I did not get it.
Thanks again for your help.

threenemos

Originally Posted by diane4
Is it possible that someone else in the house is feeding him, your children or a babysitter?
No, just me. My wife would be the only other option it was not her.

threenemos

Originally Posted by snailheave
it was sick from the beginning. attempting to eat and spitting out food right after is a sympton of a certain disease whose name escapes me at the moment...
Something seemed to be wrong with him.
I purchased him every kind of food I heard he might like, although I ran out of time on the cyclop-eeze, and he did not want any of it.
I can say we gave it an honest effort.
Thanks again to you all.

speg

30 dollars overnight? Thats the frozen stuff.
Do a 'google' search for cyclop-eeze freeze dried
Make sure you get the WHOLE not the FLAKE.