For anyone buying cheap MH's

codylowe

Ok well i bought a set of the 48" Odyssea 760w lighting fixture off you know where. They run about 379 shipped. Seems like a good deal, but the ballasts are crap and need to be replaced. Here are some before and after pics of my lights when i replaced the stock ballasts with 250 watt Coralvue electronic ballast. **Note - I am still using the stock 15k bulbs that came with the unit. I ordered some 14k hamiltons and will update pictures once they arrive.
First pic is with original bulbs and ballast (no actinics)

Second pic is with left side ballast replaced (actinics on)

Third pic is with both ballasts replaced (no actinics)

Even with the ballast replacement, which is super easy to do, the fixture is still cheaper than any other comparable models. I really like setup and as you can see the replacement is a drastic change and is a must in my opinion.
Hope this helps anyone that is considering buying this fixture.
** I also posted this in the lighting forums...

farslayer

I dropped a bunch on my aqua medic fixture, not from you know where. I was afraid of just this problem; crappy lights. I also notice that for a 15K bulb, they look awful white. Post some pics when your new bulbs arrive. I put in 14K Phoenix bulbs in mine and they are freakin' sweet.

uncheels

I am about to buy some MH lights from someone tomorrow.... he is giving me a pretty good deal. What should I look for when I am testing them on his tanks before I bring them home? Thanks

codylowe

Originally Posted by Farslayer
I dropped a bunch on my aqua medic fixture, not from you know where. I was afraid of just this problem; crappy lights. I also notice that for a 15K bulb, they look awful white. Post some pics when your new bulbs arrive. I put in 14K Phoenix bulbs in mine and they are freakin' sweet.
Yes, the "15k" does look extremely white. I am not sure of why it is like that. I know before these units were shipping off with 10k bulbs and people were complaining alot on how yellow they were. Maybe they upped the K rating to make up for that??? I have seen pictures of the hamiltons on these ballasts and they are the normal blue-er color you would expect.
Originally Posted by Uncheels

I am about to buy some MH lights from someone tomorrow.... he is giving me a pretty good deal. What should I look for when I am testing them on his tanks before I bring them home? Thanks
Well, most name brand fixtures are pretty well built from what i hear. If it is an Odyssea fixture, you will need to replace the ballast. I suggest you look thoroughly at his tank and ask about his coral growth (make sure everything is in good health). IMO looking at the color and intensity output of the bulbs should tell you all you need to know, but there are so many factors to it... The bulb could be old and almost burnt out... Different bulbs with the same K rating do not look the same; some could be blue-er and some extremly white, which is also dependent on the ouput power of the ballast. I may be able to help you out more if you send me more info on the set-up. However, i am still not an expert on this by any means...

codylowe

I get my Hamiltons in next week... I will post pictures with them as soon as i get em installed.
I found a pretty sweet deal (IMO) for 49.99 a bulb online. This was the first time i priced out/bought bulbs online - so i may have missed a better deal...
What prices does everyone pay for a new one?

farslayer

The lack of color is actually due to the CRI being low. My 14Ks are very blue, and I'll bet your Hamiltons are gonna look so much better :)

uncheels

This is what I am buying:
"I have a couple of Metal Halides 175W each and up. Bought like $250+ each set. Asking $125 for a set."
I talked him down to $100 total. This guy probably has 25 different tanks in his house (obsessed much) and is drastically trying to downsize. I have bought many other things from him... live rock, coral, live sand and all are great quality. He also has "two T5 20" lights. Each has 2 T5 bulbs. Asking $49" but I think I am going to go with the MHs.
Any input?

farslayer

Well, you'll need actinic lighting as well, so you could get the MH for your primary lighting and the T5s for actinic purposes. That's what I do :)

uncheels

Hmmmmm good thought. I am going to need to build a new top for my hexagon tank because the new lights wont fit the existing plastic lid. How much are actinic light bulbs? Thanks
Also, would I be able to get away with only the MH's for a while? or should I suck it up and buy both?
what if I only buy one T5? would that be enough? Thanks

piscian

I bought my MH's from a site that sells plant/aquarium lights. The ballasts are refurbished and really big, but they work great. They cost me $70 a piece for the socket, ballast, reflector, and bulb. I also haven't seen much of an increase in my light bill either and I'm running 2 175 watts for 4 hours a day.

farslayer

Hmmmmm good thought. I am going to need to build a new top for my hexagon tank because the new lights wont fit the existing plastic lid. How much are actinic light bulbs? Thanks
Also, would I be able to get away with only the MH's for a while? or should I suck it up and buy both?
what if I only buy one T5? would that be enough? Thanks
Actinic is only a spectrum (420 - 460 nm), so the cost is the same as any old HO T5 bulb and varies by wattage (longer bulbs require more watts of input thus cost more money). Mine cost $18 each for a 39W actinic.
I'd suck it up and buy both, not too expensive considering the cost of MH.

uncheels

ahhhhhh fine.... i spend more money on this d#@* tank then I do myself..... but its ok. I can eat ramen noodles this week.

piscian

ahhhhhh fine.... i spend more money on this d#@* tank then I do myself..... but its ok. I can eat ramen noodles this week.

LOL! 10 for a $1

codylowe

This is what I am buying:
"I have a couple of Metal Halides 175W each and up. Bought like $250+ each set. Asking $125 for a set."
I talked him down to $100 total. This guy probably has 25 different tanks in his house (obsessed much) and is drastically trying to downsize. I have bought many other things from him... live rock, coral, live sand and all are great quality. He also has "two T5 20" lights. Each has 2 T5 bulbs. Asking $49" but I think I am going to go with the MHs.
Any input?
I really wouldn't worry about it much then... I don't think the particular set that i have makes a single 175watt version.... If you are picking it up then compare it to the rest of his tanks, he prolly wouldn't show you a crappy system with good lights on right next to it.
Also, with him being a 'fanatic' he would probably have genuine lighting systems.

codylowe

Originally Posted by Farslayer
Well, you'll need actinic lighting as well, so you could get the MH for your primary lighting and the T5s for actinic purposes. That's what I do :)
You really don't need actinic if you use the right bulbs - 14k or higher

codylowe

Ok, well here is the update with the Hamilton 14k lighting... I really like the blueness to it. (My leather didn't like me messing with the lights) I will post with original bulbs first, then hamiltons for side-by-side comparison.

trigger11

i spend more money on this d#@* tank then I do myself..... but its ok. I can eat ramen noodles this week.
I know exactly what you mean. Last month was a ramen noodle month for me as well. I have a 55G tank. I only had one MH 20" fixture on it after I converted tanks. I found someone selling off their system and got a canopy with 2 150W MH, 2 VHO actinic, and a moonlight for $300. But my corals sure are lovin' the light.

~Trigger