For Anyone who has PVC piping for their eel...

katiev

I'm trying to really pre-plan my tank for the snowflake eel's comfort, and plan on having PVC in the sandbed. The tank is 48" long, and I'm planning to have the pipe run the entire length of the tank, with an outlet angled out of the sand/rock on each end.
My question:
Does the PVC piping need to be "flushed" to remove detritus when I'm doing my regular tank maintenance, or should it be left alone?

aw2x3

I've used 1.5" PVC for my large Whitemouth Moray for some time, with no problems. My use for the PVC also ran the entire length of the tank, along the back wall, with an outlet at each end and one in the middle.
The Nassarius Snails and hermits that I have in my tank did a pretty good job of keeping the pipe clean.

sharkboy13

Originally Posted by AW2x3
I've used 1.5" PVC for my large Whitemouth Moray for some time, with no problems. My use for the PVC also ran the entire length of the tank, along the back wall, with an outlet at each end and one in the middle.
The Nassarius Snails and hermits that I have in my tank did a pretty good job of keeping the pipe clean.
have to agree w/ AW, when i did a very similar thing i had the same results until my eel wedged one PVC pipe into the lr too much and it caused a small avalanche

katiev

Thank you both. I think I'll follow your lead and put another outlet in the middle -- that sounds great.

autofreak44

Originally Posted by Sharkboy13
have to agree w/ AW, when i did a very similar thing i had the same results until my eel wedged one PVC pipe into the lr too much and it caused a small avalanche
yikes! :scared: :scared:

mavis1032

Originally Posted by AW2x3
??? No problem with the Moray eating the hermits???

aw2x3

Originally Posted by MAVIS1032
??? No problem with the Moray eating the hermits???
I've never had either one of my Morays eat hermits, snails, etc. My Giant Hawkfish, on the other hand, is a master at picking my hermits out of their shells.

madwabbit

I've got a SFE around 10" or so long, and I didn't put any PVC in the tank...he just kinda makes his own caves and holes under the LR as he pleases...is PVC just a preference for larger eels, or am I screwin this up or what? (Assume its fine as Im sure not every eel in the wild has a comfy piece of PVC to relax in )

cagrn

You don't need it as long as you have live rock areas where it can hide and make its spot in. I don't have any right now and mine has dug quite the compex looking tunnel system under the live rock. I am going to try it and see how it likes it in its new home which is just cycling right now in preparation for it.