For people in DFW & Houston Area

jarrod

I don't know if you can post them, but what are your favorite fish stores in your area?
I'm in Lawton, Ok and Dallas isn't too bad of a drive & I'll be going to Houston around Thanksgiving.
E-mail some ideas please: jarrode78@aol.com
Thanks for any ideas!:)

aggie4681

I go to aquarium work on 290. They have knowledgeable people there, and their quality and selection of fish is very good

Aquarium World is the most wonderful store you could ever imagine! Not sure what street it's on though... It's on the North Side I think, I'm sure you'll find it. :D

quoc

If you looking to buy corals, I recommend Saltwater Paradise in Irving Tx. They have the best hard and soft coral around and the owner is known for have the best and healthy selection. He also have some nice fished also.
One place I don't recommend is Aquarium Mart in North Dallas. I went there and saw nothing worth buying. Hardly any selection and customer service there sucked!

arniej

That Aquarium World in Houston is great. Their staff is very helpful and they have a large selection. They also have a 40,000 gal display that is great to look at.
Its on Highway 290 off the Hollister exit. Hope that helps.

jakob4001

YIKES!!! you people must have $$$ out the kaboos...A W has 1 of the HIGHEST MARK UP on equipment & livestock of ALL the local Houston stores...if you don't mind paying the extra $$$ for a show room type store...go for it;they do have healthy livestock & THE LARGEST "display" tanks of ALL the LFS though...not much on selection of saltie stock...make no mistake, they cater to $$$ crowd mostly...
AQUATIC WORLD (formerlly known as fish ranch) is also just off 290 in view distance...it on JONES RD though...DEFINATELY one of the better competivably priced & stocked stores in town...
there is 1 RD that has 4 LFS located at various junctions on it...
BELLAIRE BLVD; you'd have to go almost end to end though to visit all of them & they are each worth a look in one way or other...
FISHLAND is a very popular choice in town too...
check out www.marshreef.org they list most of the LFS in town...no telling which ones may or may not be open around then

ophiura

Originally posted by jakob4001
...not much on selection of saltie stock...

Thanks folks for the comments on Aquarium World. I worked there over the last+ year. The 40,000g tank has had some updating recently...lots more color!
As for selection, a few things. If there is something you are looking for, ask. They can keep an eye out for things, and order them. However, there are some fish they do not believe in stocking. If you want them, sorry, you'll have to go elsewhere. That is why I liked working for them.
If you want to buy anything, just let them know you have a longer trip (2 hours is their standard packing) so they can bag/box the stock accordingly.

DFW area: I am new to this hobby but there is a wonderful store in Duncanville S. of DFW about 15 miles called Pet Village- nice people healthy fish and nice selection of corals- they just know their stuff. I can also give you a list of where not to go as well- if you want to e-mail me: texasgiraffe@hotmail.com
Good Luck!

ophiura

It seems that the post to which I was replying has since been deleted....Obviously there was a not so nice comment about someone I worked for....
You get complaints in other threads about LFS employees standing around and not giving a darn about you, and then you get this (in another thread an employee was described as not bothering to look up at the customer-- not looking away from his important task of sorting rubber bands).
I worked for the guy and don't have the complaint you have. I was ticked off by some employees tendancy to whine and "cry" about the work. Even I had my day. :D I am always amazed to see people in the professional world, who surf the net and check emails much of the day! There was always algae to scrub, water to change, etc etc. Sometimes people need a good kick in the rear, and we knew exactly what was expected. There was always work to do- that needed to be done- if you looked, and he was good at directing your attention!
Looking at a snapshot in time like that can be misleading. Believe me. I worked for him. If a fish were shoved in his mouth I couldn't have called him numerous times each day to ask for advice on something, as we all did. Advice and answers were always given, even if I kept asking the same questions.
And even the best boss can get snippy, unless you all work for a saint or something, but we all have great respect for his skills (the design and plumbing of the store), energy and experience. Most of the time I was just amazed how he could stick with it as long as he has.
And he is the kind of guy who would just eat any fish you put in his mouth anyway. If you have a question about what a particular fish tastes like, he might very well know. Recently he explained how to cook up a freshwater Pleco. We're big fans of freeze dried krill and seaweed select sheet sushi. Yum yum. Its a business that can make you a bit strange.

c_bell

Aquarium World gets my vote as well. I go there everytime I get a chance about once a week. Its hard to find a good quality, clean fish store with knowledgeable people. :D :D

jhead

Ok then......
Back to LFS's.
I go to Aquatic Designs on Alma and Parker in Plano, just North of Dallas. They are helpful. Good selection of fish and coral. A little pricy but not bad. I also go to North Dallas Aqaurium, they just moved and are now at Trinty Mills and Marsh. Just East of thier old location. They just got setup and some of the show corals are pretty cool. The selection is not bad, but you pay extra for the new store smell.:D
Personally I haven't found what I'm looking for in a LFS in the North East Dallas area. I'll be making the trip the SWP in Irving in the near future.

dcox88

I go to Dallas North Aquarium as well. My sister works there, so I am kinda biased. They are, as previously said, kida pricey. They have 2 people there (Gina and Joe) that are very knowlegable about reef systems.

jferrier

DFW
Yeah Dallas North (Trinity Mills) Carrolton is very nice , but pricey!
My favorite is Planet Pet in Bedford. I bought a clump of xenia there for 24.99 that was priced 99.99 at Dallas North. The staff at both stores are also very nice and well informed. Both have great selections but DN doesn't compare to PP price wise.