? for people with a tank in their bedroom.

aarone

I have my tank in my bedroom. Im sure I am not the only one. Does anyone else who houses their tank in their rom, have respiratory problems? Maybe problems occuring from the salt evaporation and humidity in the room. Just wondering because my throat has been veyr sore lately and i am not really sick...
aaron

ajwaters

i have both of my tanks in my room but they don't really bother my respitory (sp) can get a little loud though.

heh..now i can help you kind of.
I've had my tank in my room from its inception and haven't had any respiratory problems. Humidity is actually alright for you, it helps me recover quickly actually. Perhaps your getting sick.

lovethesea

I don't think your tank would emit so much humidity that you would have a mold problem. You proabably just have a good old fashioned sore throat. Hopefully not Strep :eek:
Hope you feel better........:)

aarone

i think it is actually the flu. I slept under two down comforters last night...IN TEXAS!!!
aaron

lovethesea

OH NO!! I hate that. NEVER gets warm, the worst feeling.
Hopefully it won't have you down for long. Its starting here too,
seems so early.

aarone

I have the one where im unbeleivably cold one minute, then my fever breaks and i have a fit of sweats. it sucks. and i have to work tomorrow :(
aaron

michaeltx

hey if your weather in fort worth is anything like it is here in lubbock thats why your sick the weather here has been bouncing from near 90 one day to lower 60's the next then back up like a freakin rollercoaster.
BTW I have a tank in my rrom and never have a problem from it and I have chronic bronkitis (?)
hope you feel better soon
Mike

cprdnick

Yeah, here in Amarillo it hit 90 and two days later the high was 40, then up to 80. Alot of people are coming down with stuff up here.

elfdoctors

I thought about this one for a while. Most likely you are just fighting a virus. Give it time. However there are other possibilities.
Humidity is one effect from a tank in the bedroom. Most of the time your body likes humidity as there is less drying of mucous membranes. However excessive humidity can increase growth of molds in your bedroom to which you might be allergic.
Other substances in the tank can also cause a problem. However most of these would not be aerosolized (become airborne) in a saltwater tank from evaporation. However if you have a protein skimmer, the amount of material could become noticable. The one I would think is most likely would be Iodine. If you were allergic (you probably couldn't eat shellfish without your mouth swelling up) the small amounts of iodine could make your throat sore (especially if you supplement in a reef tank). In addition the material that the skimmer removes (e.g cyanobacteria (red green algae) which has been known to cause disease in humans) could also be causing problems.
These possibilities are stretching a little. Gargling with saltwater (not from your tank;) ) before you go to sleep might help.

lovethesea

hopefully the fevers didn't return and you got a good nights sleep.
We are all getting our flu shots this week, hopefully in time, because its starting here too.

jsb

I was actually thinking that having my tank in my bedroom was causing problems. This morning I was feeling sick for the third time. I've seriously have had (if this is another) three colds in the spam of two months. When I wake up my nose and throat are extremely dry. I was thinking it was from the Salt of something. You sound like you have a virus like the flu or something. I hope you get to feeling better...I hate having colds, I couldn't handle the flu. I'm not the type to rest. I've got to go go go!

T

thomas712

OK aside from the obvious virus or perhaps immune system down, does anyone think that maybe an air purifier might be in order for those with tanks in the bedroom?
Thomas

elfdoctors

Most air purifiers do very little except perhaps psychologically. If you get one it should have a HEPA filter. The major issue is insufficient airflow. Imagine if your saltwater tank had a total flow rate of less than 1/10th the capacity of your tank per hour. You would have to get a massive air purifier and keep your doors closed to have much effect. It doesn't hurt to try (except financially if you would have to go out and buy another one). Some people like the background noise to help them sleep!

aarone

well I just woke up and i feel ok. Aside from a raspy throat and the normal neck ache. Im going to brave work today...:( If i look pathetic enough maybe they will send me home...it worked yesterday.
aaron