For Rock Watchers Anonymous

kynekke

Got a new gorgeous rock today! It has tons of purple, pink, and red coralline but it also came with some hitchikers.

It has this way cute starfish on it. I hope he makes it, I love little critters.

It also has this purple mushroom

Not sure what this is, hope whatever built is is still in there.

Tank shot...

Thanks for looking :)

russianspy

I like that starfish. I had one of those in my tank. It disappeared though, So I can't give you any info.
I really like the aquascaping too. All those base rocks make really nice overhangs, and will also be good places to rest corals. (I'm guessing you want a reef tank). Your tank looks kinda young, how long has it been going? You also might want to add some more cured live rock to speed up the curing process of all that base rock

kynekke

Thanks :) My tank was started on 4/26/07 so it is very new. I bought that new rock today to help seed, I have another 2lb LR in my sump and the 2 small 1lb rocks are LR too... so I have about 7lbs of LR all together now.

jennythebugg

i personally like fowlr but tobin(seasalt101) wants reef, cool i guess but i am a rock watcher, i love looking at all the colors and critters in and on them too, that starfish is too cute ! beautiful rock fabulous color good luck with your tank...jenny

team2jndd

I believe the star is an asterina (sp?) star. There is a mod on here that knows starfish and her name escapes me at the moment. Somebody will deffinately know though.

myreef05

Originally Posted by team2jndd
I believe the star is an asterina (sp?) star. There is a mod on here that knows starfish and her name escapes me at the moment. Somebody will deffinately know though.
Ophuira is her name.

reefforbrains

Originally Posted by OceanLover
Lucky!!!! What a cute little star.

Just wait till there are a few hundred cute little stars......and all will me mssing one leg. Goofey little critters lol
Many treat Asernia stars like plague and destroy them on site so they do not take over a tank. I have some in my tank and they reproduce but over the years I have never had a single problem with numbers.
To each thier own, but I always have a soft spot for them since they seem to ALL be missing one leg.

kynekke

Great idea! I have a special toothbrush just for that... not sure if the last time worked but will try with this rock.
I actually found a new star this morning, about 1/4 the size of the first. I'm imagining they can't reproduce THAT fast but I'll watch them. Right now I'm having too much fun watching them. Yesterday's is in the lower right, this morning's new one is upper left.

OH, 2 baby snails came out of the rock this morning!

reefkprz

I'm not 100% but those look like pyramid snails to me and they are reef killers, hopefully some one who knows pyramid snails can back this up or disavow it.

renogaw

hmm, they look like some turbo snails that my lfs has been getting in instead of mexican turbos. little too small right now for a great id, so keep an eye on them when you start getting corals

nietzsche

i have some too, look like my turbo snails but tiny. i thought they were sundial snails but they havent been on any of my corals

reefreak29

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
I'm not 100% but those look like pyramid snails to me and they are reef killers, hopefully some one who knows pyramid snails can back this up or disavow it.
their Colonista Snails