For those that have Basslets

cam78

I would like to get a Basslet for my 46 but heres the problem. I would like to get ish that don't hide all day and are worthless for the view. Being that I only have a 46 I don't want to be limited to 5 fishes and see 2 of them.
So my question is this: Do Basslets hide a lot?
What are some fish that are colorful that swim around?

Originally Posted by CAM78
Are you kidding? No posts in 4 hours? Is it that dumb of a question?
I'm a fan of royal grammas. They are cheap (one per tank) and mine swims around quite a bit.

crt81

I don't know about basslets (Sorry)- but a fish I know you will like and enjoy is a midas blenny.
I have one in my reef and I just love her (or at least I think it's a "her")
She swims upfront all day long and when she sees me she swims straight to the front of the glass- sometimes even raming it!
I would definitely recomend this fish since you are limited to how many fish you can get!!!
This is a fish you cannot pass up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anubisxero

Gramma Loreto/Royal Gramma. Mine is out all day long. Swims with my clowns they tease each other here and there and really seem to enjoy each other. Very beautiful and a very inquisitive fish overall.
Jason

will28730

Chalk Basslets are not real big on hiding, I have 2, they kinda pick out a spot and stay there most of the time, but they don't hide much, they have a great color and get along with everything else I have

jmerk

OH! OH! PICK ME! PICK ME!
I like some good chromis either purple or blue-green. Get a school of about 3 or 4. These fish will swim activly if not threatened.
Jmerk
P.S. I like royals and midas blennys too. Both are excellent fish.

porkypuff

I have an orange basslet.
Hes sits in his favorite place on the rock and he swims around a lot. Bad thing is, he did eat my small cleaner shrimp :((
And yeah, I have a Midas and I <3 him, definately get one of those. I like clowns too, I have a black one and an orange one, they are the most active of the lot.

Chasmodes

Swissguard and candycane basslets will hide a lot, so maybe best to avoid those. Royal Grammas, black cap basslets and pseudochromids are usually out in the open a lot once they acclimate to your tank. However, large aggressive fish in the tank may cause any small fish to hide.

fishygurl

get a BLACKCAP BASSLET!!!!!! they will probably have a cave that they will sleep in but i have one and its out swimming around all the time very beautiful fish

I have an orangeback basslet whom my husband has named D.C. because marks behind his head look like the letters d and c.[And yes, I do name some of my fish, and yes I do even pet some of my fish, lol]. But anyway, I think the orangeback is beautiful, relatively inexpensive and stays out front all day long. I don't have a midas but did have a beautiful royal gramma that unfortunately recently died of velvet disease. If you decided on a royal gramma, hope you were able to get it while this site had them for just $1.99.

nygel

wat all is in with your orangeback and wat size tank do you have? ive wanted them but i have a coral banded shrimp (could care less if it was eaten) but i have a pistol shrimp and alot of porcelien crabs... i dont want them to be ate...

Originally Posted by nYgel
wat all is in with your orangeback and wat size tank do you have? ive wanted them but i have a coral banded shrimp (could care less if it was eaten) but i have a pistol shrimp and alot of porcelien crabs... i dont want them to be ate...
I have a 20 gallon with 1 porcelain crab, 1 green emerald crab, 2 purple urchins, 1 green goby and 1 damsel The orangeback is very peaceful. The green emerald is about the most aggressive thing in the tank. I don't know about the pistol shrimp- if it would be safe or not. But I do have hermits and snails and no problems. However my cbs in my 55 gallon has eaten a number of my red legged hermits and has grabbed at several of my fish. I've found a store that will soon be taking him off my hands thank goodness!

hammerhed7

I second the black cap, I have one in my 46 it was shy for a few weeks, now he eats from my hand, and is out all the time, very cool fish!

S

sylvia5

my chalk basslet is out the entire day in my 46 and never hides