For TravelerJP

snakeblitz33

I know how you like to travel, and I know the poor state of the American Education system (which hopefully I will have the ability to contribute positively to soon.) has probably lead you to never know who Robert Frost is. Well, he is an American poet who has written many notable poems including this one:
The Road Not Taken
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim
Because it was grassy and wanted wear,
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I marked the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
I just thought I would share this with you and hope that you find some meaning in it.
Seth

travelerjp98

I loved it. I always like taking the road less traveled if I can.
And I have never heard of Robert Frost... so thank you for sharing a work of his to me.
This made my day!
....and a thread with my name in the title, a first.

travelerjp98

I can also see the meaning in it as taking a less taken path of life, not just physically as a direction to take.
Just letting you know I noticed that :)

snakeblitz33

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.
He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Robert Frost

snakeblitz33

This is a poem by Walt Whitman that I think you might find interesting.
When I heard the learn'd astronomer;
When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me;
When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them;
When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with much
applause in the lecture-room.
How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick;
Till rising and gliding out, I wander'd off by myself,
In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time,
Look'd up in perfect silence at the stars.
I personally love this poem.

sweat90lx

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelerjp98 http:///t/392742/for-travelerjp#post_3489604
I loved it. I always like taking the road less traveled if I can.
And I have never heard of Robert Frost...
That is a shame. I know our education system is not that great anymore but I though every student had to read Frost's work, at least that one poem.

travelerjp98

This is a poem by Walt Whitman that I think you might find interesting.
When I heard the learn'd astronomer;
When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me;
When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them;
When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with much
applause in the lecture-room.
How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick;
Till rising and gliding out, I wander'd off by myself,
In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time,
Look'd up in perfect silence at the stars.
I personally love this poem.
Yes, it was cute.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat90lx http:///t/392742/for-travelerjp#post_3489666
That is a shame. I know our education system is not that great anymore but I though every student had to read Frost's work, at least that one poem.
IDK about you guys, but I did not start to read a lot of things like this until I was in High School. Right?? I think Traveler just said in a different post that he was an incoming High School Freshman.
It seems that he still has almost a full 1/3 left of his academic career (K-12). I know that I learned a lot in those last 4 year... Well three of the last four years at least... LOL.

snakeblitz33

I guess i can blame my well balanced education on a good private school system.
In seventh and eighth grade, you should have already been exposed to some poetry.
Because of JP's age, i assumed he was already in highschool.

sweatervest13

LOL... It has been too long for me to remember what I had when in school. But I do know that I eventually did learn a lot of literature. I think the course load in High School dictates more the quality of education then if it is public or private. There are good Public schools and there are bad private schools. It seems that most people that go to private schools feel that the education they received is far superior to any pubic school. It may be... I am not sure about that one. I have met some pretty well educated folks who attended public schools, and some pretty uneducated folks who attended private schools (and vice versa).
This has always been an issue in my house. My wife is a private Catholic School girl (K-12) and I am a Public School guy (I did attend a Catholic school in 4th Grade). I am amazed at just how much Science and Math she does not know. But we took very different course loads. Who knows?

snakeblitz33

Some Catholic schools teach science based on creationism ... with the scientific method to explain why Darwin was incorrect. LOL just kidding. I went to a private catholic high school and an Episcopalian grade school.
The intelligence of a person is not based upon how well they were taught, but how well they understood. A teacher can present all of the information, teach it effectively through video, audio, tactile learning, groups work, experiements, students teaching peers ... everything that they can, and sometimes some students still can not comprehend the concept. It's not that it may be a bad school or a bad teacher, ... but that the person that you were talking to simply was not intelligent.

sweat90lx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///t/392742/for-travelerjp#post_3489805
IDK about you guys, but I did not start to read a lot of things like this until I was in High School. Right?? I think Traveler just said in a different post that he was an incoming High School Freshman.
It seems that he still has almost a full 1/3 left of his academic career (K-12). I know that I learned a lot in those last 4 year... Well three of the last four years at least... LOL.
I was a 5th year senior, I was a red shirt freshman maybe? LOL. I wasted my high school experience when my parents divorced. Somehow I learned a lot but didnt apply it.
JP high school will be a great experience. Have all the fun you can but be responsible.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat90lx http:///t/392742/for-travelerjp#post_3489947
I was a 5th year senior, I was a red shirt freshman maybe? LOL. I wasted my high school experience when my parents divorced. Somehow I learned a lot but didnt apply it.
JP high school will be a great experience. Have all the fun you can but be responsible.
Yeah, no beer and loose women for you! At least not until you're 18 and in college.

travelerjp98

Yeah, no beer and loose women for you! At least not until you're 18 and in college. :na-na: :laughing:
maybe just a little..

travelerjp98

That's it?
it had very nice effect and I could relate to it
I just check swf late in the day so I cant really write all my expressions out as much as would make more sense and id like.