Forgot to rinse = dead fish?

fulcrum

So I was in a hurry the other day and forgot to rinse my new carbon filter before putting it in the tank monday afternoon. This is the standard biocube 14 gal nano carbon screen. I realized my mistake after it was in for 20 minutes, so I figured there was no point in getting it out.
Yesterday was a holiday. Came in this morning both were clowns dead. They were the only fish in the tank. One 3/4" the other 1", both looked perfectly healthy and had good appetites monday when I left.
I found them on top of the filter in the overflow....not exactly sure how they got there (past the carbon filter).
Was it the carbon?
Inverts are all fine, coral looks great.
Nitrates 0 (or <5ppm)
pH 8.2
Ammonia 0
25% water change was done about a week ago.
I have been keeping tanks for 6 years and never seen anything like this, but I dont use carbon in my other tanks...this is my only nano. It has been fully cycled and running for 5 months. Had an ICH outbreak in first month....but let it run with no fish for 8 weeks. Clowns had been in for about 1.5 months with no issue. This defintely wasnt ICH (that I am familiar with)

robertmathern

yay someone else that lives in jacksonville.
I didnt think not rinseing the filter would do that. You sure you dont have anything else going on. I dont know much about carbon in saltwater tanks. I used them in freshwater and never rinced them with no problems. Well at least not with the carbon

V

vinnyraptor

Originally Posted by fulcrum
http:///forum/post/2836096
c'mon ......anybody?
i think you answered your own question. i believe carbon can suck out the oxygen or something like that. they probably drowned if that makes sense. im not 100% on this but i believe i read/heard that somewhere before. thtas my 2 cents anyways, sorry for your loss.