FOTM - Mandarinfish

speg

*** Fish Of The Month - Mandarin Dragonet & Psychedelic Dragonet
Synchiropus splendidus & Synchiropus picturatus
Common names - Mandarin Dragonet, Mandarinfish, Mandarin goby, Target goby, Psychedelic dragonet/goby, Spotted/Picture goby, etc.
First I will start by clearing up the first mistake most people make when refering to these wonderful fish. They are not in the 'goby' family but are closely related to them and to blennies. They are actually better known to be 'dragonets' and belong to the family of 'Callionymidae'. Now the next time you go to your LFS or talk to your aquarium buddies.. please.. call these little fellows 'dragonets' and argue with anyone who will tell you they are gobies. =c)
As with any fish the secret to keeping a Mandarin is understanding what makes them tick. The mistake a lot of people make with these fish is that they treat them like any other fish out there.. not knowing enough about their diets is usually what ends in a thin malnurished animal... and ultimately leads to their deaths.
Thought to most aquarists to be a 'difficult to keep' species.. this can really be a completely false statement! The Mandarin Dragonets are actually VERY hardy and quite resistant to diseases. You may have a outbreak of ich in your tank.. and the only fish that seem to completely ignore the parasites are your mandarinfish (and usually anemonefish!). This is because of the dragonets thick slime coating. It is actually advised to NOT treat with copper when dealing with this scaleless fish, treating with copper will increase the secretion of slime coat of the fish, to the possibility of smothering the fish in its very own slime coating. Please click here for more information on treating fish illness.
Is it a boy or a girl? Often people do consider having two mandarins in the same tank.. and as long as they cater to their needs... its very possible to do this. Be careful if adding more than one as two males may tend to fight. If you're looking for a male or a female.. here is what to look for. Firstly males are usually larger of the two sexes, will have a larger head and more orange on its head. The REAL ticket to knowing if you're dealing with a male or a female is the dorsal fin or spike on the fish. The males dorsal spike will be considerably longer than on a female. Usually long enough if laid down to reach close to the fishes tail fin.
Are the fish reef safe? Certainly ! Absolutely great fish to have in a reef tank.
Now on to the good stuff.. mandarinfish diets. While it IS possible to get a mandarinfish to eat some prepaired foods.. you should NEVER buy a mandarin with the simple hope of them eating those foods. When buying one assume that it will NOT eat prepaired foods, and if it does then only consider yourself lucky. Even if the fish do eat the prepaired foods the fish may still not end up living a long full life. Their main diet is most likely what YOU do not see. The tiny 'pods' (copepods, isopods, amphipods) living in your tank that you may not even know about is what their main diet consists of and they are required for long-term success in keeping these fish. Many of you may be saying.. "hey, I have these in my tank.. i'll go buy a mandarin!".. Sure you have these 'pods' in your tank.. but when you add a mandarin the pod population will very quickly decline.. eventually starving the mandarin to death. Even though these pods reproduce rather quickly, it is still usually not quick enough to keep up with the constantly feeding mandarinfish. More info on pods click here .

speg

The solution - The first key to success is making sure you have a sufficient pod population. By having a large amount of live rock and sand in your tank you'll increase the size of the population of these pods. Very large tanks with large amounts of rocks may be able to house a mandarin and never worry about pods not being able to repopulate fast enough. Although in smaller aquariums (less than 100 gallons) is usually where the problems take place. These smaller aquariums simply cannot handle the mandarins for too long without the pod population of the tank completely being wiped out. Usually within a 6 month time the mandarins end up looking very sickly thin and end up dying. So, now you're asking "I have a small tank.. so I guess I cant keep one?" If you're willing to cater to the needs of this fish then you most certainly can be successful in having one in a small tank. Building a refugium will help a lot in your struggle to keep the mandarins well fed. The refugium will can act as a safe haven for the pods to breed in without the mandarin destroying the entire population of them. Can you have a mandarinfish in a 10 gallon tank? You can, but it will end up dying unless you plan on building a 50 gallon refugium :) Even so 10 gallons is really not sufficient swimming room for these guys.
Anyways I spose that should be sufficient information to get your brains working! A few things to remember.. I know this fish looks AMAZING.. but do not buy one if you do not know for a fact that you can keep one long-term. I personally have wanted one since day one of setting up my aquarium. Knowing that I havent made the required improvements is what has kept me from getting one... I dont wanna see one of these guys die due to starving to death. Here are two links to pictures of these fish, brought to you buy SWF.com Mandarin Dragonet Psychedelic Dragonet
Feel free to add any personal experiences/opinions/helpful information to this to further help people and insure the survival of these great fish.
Hope this helped a little.
Speg/Jesse

fuax

Awesome job speg will you be doing the FOTM every month or will different ppl get to do exposes' on different fish. hehe

speg

I am personally more fond of corals and inverts over fish.. So i'd like to do a coral of the month if people didnt mind. If nobody takes up the responsibility of doing another fish next month.. I spose I could write up another one as long as people enjoy them and use them. :joy:
I was also hoping people would post any tips they have for keeping these fish or anything interesting they feel I left out. I actually left out a bunch that I had planned on adding due to writers cramp - lol

ridomart

Nicely done. I also have wanted a psychedelic dragonet Since I first saw one.I just set up a 120 gl with a 30 gl refugium. My problem is when I first started curing my live rock I saw a massive die off of something,1/8 in brown something like seeds, & wondered when I could start a population of copepods? My tank has only been set up for a week. Any ideas?

speg

Where did you buy the rock? A lot of times the sand and rock you bring home will already have pods and usually around the 2-3 month mark you'll notice these things start to really take off and multiply. If the rocks are base rock or live rock that really had nothing at all on it when you bought it then usually introducing plants and such into your refugium will start seeding your tank with pods. Pods like plants! Also some online dealers will sell pods.
Also keep in mind that even though you think you have a good amount of pods, it is usually recommended to wait a year before adding a dragonet to your tank to insure a good amount of pods.

ridomart

I bought lr off internet,goog coral line,not base rock,Kept it in a tub with skimmer,power head,heater, for three mo ,took longer to get set up for my 120. When you say plants,what kind?

speg

Originally Posted by RiDoMart
When you say plants,what kind?
They seem to like most of them! I had a bunch hitchhike on some calurpa I bought here at a LFS. Personally I dont see too many coming in on the plants that need calcium to grow like halimeda. Although im not saying they dont, I just dont see much of it!

misslaina

very informative. I have been planning to get a mandarin fish, I want to wait a little longer though. my Raniford's (sp?) Goby is eating lots of pods, I was wondering if they would run out of foodif I put a mandarin in. I ran across a company that sells pods, rotifers, and algae. I was wondering if anyone has ordered them (pods)this way?

fishieness

awsome job speg!!! i look forward to you doing a coral of the month too!!
can anyone do these?! you mentioned about no one taking the responsibility.... like if i reserched and stuff and made one would it be official? I always thought that only the mods did this... oh well

speg

Well from my searches, it looks like >someone< used to do these every so often.. I dont know if they were mod-only.. if I wasnt sposed to do this one - sorry :p I personally think that if you want to do one and you have enough information (and spare time) go ahead... you can always ask someone else if they dont mind

nm reef

Excellant FOTW....well put together. At one time the FOTW & COTW features were a regular deal...but interest dropped off and it did become time consuming. I think reviving the FOTW & COTW is a great idea. In the past members were encouraged to contribute if they had the interest to do so....the only thing I've ever asked is that the topic be titled the same way the older versions were ..."FOTW"....or better yet "FOTM"....then the focus of the feature.....for example...
COTM:Sinularia
that way a simple search for COTM will provide a archive of sorts. Restarting the coral of the month feature has been discussed but I don't have the time to dedicate to it...if a member has a idea for a COTM please contact me nmreef@cox.net and present your idea....I'd be glad to stick one if it is worthy...and I'm confident the members here can develop some excellant COTM features.
In regard to this FOTW.....I've had a green mandarian for about 18 months now.....it continues to do well in my 100 display and the 55 gal refugium insures a replenishable food supply.....here is mine...

fishamajig

great job speg,
I had just recently introduced macroalgie to the back corner of my tank to help with pod populations. I can not have a sump or fuge in my tanks location but hope the small pile of rubble rock and the macro algie will act as a safehaven for pods to grow. I have no sandbed and run a 125 b.b. so I am concerned with the recovery of these populations. I hope the efforts i made will pay off.

mudplayerx

Nicely done. Just wanted to add my 2 cents on my experience with a psychedelic madarin. I've had one for about 7-8 months in a 55 gallon tank and it is healthy as a horse. I have about 3-4 inches of live aragonite sand and about 60 pounds of live rock in the tank.
While I do not have a fuge, I do have two large hob filters utilized as fuges.
I believe my secret to success in my small tank is that I do not clean the back and sides of my tank, and I use a razor blade to clean the front of the tank. This pretty much ensures a nice pod population. I also have THICK algal mats growing on the returns of my hob filters which are CRAWLING with pods. I mean you can poke the algae with your finger and they come squirming out like army ants.
So if you have a 55 gallon tank with no fuge, get liverock, live sand, and hob filters and you should be ready for a mandarin once the tank gets established and ya get a thick growth of algae on the returns :)