FOTW - Trigger

grouperhead

So many words can describe these great fish. Beautiful, dog-like, hellish, smart, belligerent, and mellow are a few that come to mind. Their behaviors range from 'puppy dog tame' to demonic. No telling how many people have been brought into the saltwater hobby by the colors and personality of triggerfish. I know that is one of the main factors that got me into the hobby.
Triggerfish belong to the family Balistidae, and are found in all tropical seas. The majority in the hobby come from the Indo-Pacific, but a few come from the Gulf of Mexico and other regions.
Here is a list of some triggers found in the hobby, catagorized by their level of aggression....
Very aggressive - These triggers are very aggressive, and should be given the utmost respect when added to a tank. The undulate is the least predictable of the group, and IMO is the only one that really can't be trusted at all. It is a real shame, as all of these fish are flat-out gorgeous.
Undulate, Balistapus undulatus. Undulates are on of the smaller triggers, but they make up for it with their additude. A large undulate is 6". They come from the Red Sea, Micronesia, and the entire Indo-Pacific. I keep a lone Palau locale female in a 55g tank. Her repertoire of behaviors is incredible. She has learned to do a lot of things. They are a shy species that will become bolder with age. IMO, an undulate is also the most beautiful trigger.
Queen Trigger, Balistes vetula. A species coming from the warm waters of the topical Atlantic and Mexican Gulf. Queens are probably the largest commonly available trigger. A large adult can reach 24" or more. A 200g plus tank is required to house on of these beauties. More than other triggers, this species lives to rearrange the rockwork in the tank. The only really suitable tankmates are large eels, large groupers, and other larger, equally aggressive triggers.
Blue-line, Pseudobalistes fuscus. A gorgeous Red Sea species, that commands a high price. Blue-lines are also capable of reaching very large sizes, but not quite as large as the queens. A 180-200g tank will be required for an adult.
These three triggers are the most aggressive commonly available triggers. Their are some others out there that may be more aggressive (Titan) but they are pretty dang rare.
Moderate-Aggressive - These triggers are often two-faced. Growing up in the community tank as a model citizen and then one day just 'snapping.' The aggression in these species greatly increases with age, but some remain quite mellow their entire life.
Picasso, Rhinecanthus aculeatus. The most commonly kept trigger in captivity, and arguably, the one with the best personality. With splashes and strokes of of browns, blues, yellows, whites, and sometimes even greens, this is a stunningly beautiful species. Many are bought as small 2" juvies, and brought up in a community tank. Some say this will help to contain the building aggression, but it can still happen. This species, is found throughout the tropical Indo-Pacific. A 75g tank will be required for an adult. Suitable tankmates include eels, certain wrasses, groupers, other triggers, and puffers (with caution.)
Clown, Balistoides conspicillum. With it's dazzling array of colors, patterns, and hues, the fish could be considered a modern-art masterpiece. Juveniles have a somewhat high mortality rate, so it is best to buy a subadult, of about 3-4". There are some questions regarding the reasons for these deaths, and most conclusions come to cyanide, or they just don't ship as well as larger specimens. Like the picasso, this species can turn on it's tankmates at any time. A 180g will be required for an adult, which can reach over 12". Suitable tankmates include other triggers, groupers, eels, certain wrasses, and puffers (with caution.)
Assasi, Rhinecanthus assasi. This Red Sea specimen also commands a somewhat high price. Much like a picasso, but with less color. This doesn't mean it isn't a beautiful fish in it's own right thow. This species get's larger than the picasso, but stays smaller than the clown. A 100+ will be needed for an adult. It is more predictable than the other two species on this list.
Planktonic/Predictable Triggers - These triggers are very mellow and predictable, for the most part. Unlike the previously mentioned species, these don't stake out coralheads as homes and defend them from other fish. They are more schooling fish, found in the open seas.
Niger, Odonus niger. Also known as the red tooth triggerfish because of it's stunning red teeth. The least predictable of this mellow group, but 9 times out of 10, it will co-habitate perfectly with most fish species, including clowns, damsels, wrasses, puffers, groupers, tangs, angelfishes, and most aquarium species. This list can be added to all planktonic species. The niger is the largest in this group, and a 125 is the best tank for a large adult, which can reach 12" or more.
Bluejaw, Xanthichthys auromarginatus. A stunning fish, that exhibits sexual dimorphism. The male can be distinguished by his bright blue throat and yellow fin margins. A harem can be kept in a tank large enough. If the inverts are already present, a bluejaw can often be successfully kept in a reeftank, but it isn't a garuntee. A 75g tank would be suitable for a single specimen.
Pinktail, Melichthys vidua. Another very passive species, that often can be kept in a reeftank, with the same cautions/rules as the blue-throat. A pretty fish colored in a brownish-green hue with gorgeous pink fins. Like the other's in this list, this trigger is suited to the community tank for the most part. A 75g tank would be suitable for a single specimen.
There are a few other rare, more expensive species that are considered 100% reef safe. They are the Sargassum, Xanthichthys ringens and the CrosshatchXanthichthys mento.,Both of these species are rare, and command a steeper price, especially the crosshatch.
There are some other triggers that show up every know and then that I didn't mention. These are the 'core' group of triggers in the marine fish hobby. All triggers will benefit from a diet full of meaty foods including shrimp, squid, krill, silversides, octopus, silversides, clams, etc. Many will also take flake and other foods. Not many are picky at all.
Unfortunately I don't have a digicam, so I cannont share pictures of my humu and undulate. Please add pictures, stories, info, or anything about triggers you wan't to this thread.
Bo
Don't know how many of you aggressive guys get to the FO forum, so I'm gonna post it here as well. Enjoy.

jumpfrog

Bo, an excellent article. Thanks for the work that went into that. I'd love to see your undulate some time. Greg had one in his store (about 5"). Too bad I have no place for one.
Cheers

saltfisher

This is the Trigger I had. It was a complete nightmare. The meanest fish. He killed anything smaller than him, even a Undulated. It got to the point where I removed him and put it in my girlfriends 60g hex. It is still in there doing well. Recently, it tore the tail completely off a Wrasse. I think it wants to be the only fish in the tank. I added a equal sized Stars & Stripes with it in her tank and they are doing well together..
Triggers are a beautiful addition to a fish tank.

saltfisher

He'll go at my fingers but when he realizes it's not food he'll back off. It's not really aggressive to us ( girlfriend and I ). She feeds him by hand sometimes, I wont