Found a 300 gal tank good deal?

zsalinas

Hey, I may be making a come back to salt water since I sold my tank. I found a 300 gal acrylic tank with a center overflow on a local forum. Its $300. It doesn't come with anything but the tank and the built in overflow. Is this a good price? Ive never purchased acrylic before. Thanks for any and all help.

king_neptune

yup. great deal. he could score 500 for that tank if he wanted, easily.
ask him to fill it the night before. that way when you go check it out you can inspect for beads of water. brand new that would be a $2200+ tank.
my rule of thumb is a dollar per gallon( i shop on CL all the time, so I got a pretty good idea what going rates are) for tanks up to 100gal. higher than that it goes up. i saw a 300 gallon tank go for $800(a little steep...but the stand was absolutly stellar) before...so that should give you an idea what this one is worth.

zsalinas

I'm seriously considering buying this just because it seems like such a good deal. i wouldn't be able to set it up for some time. Still waiting for a new house to put it in. I would have to have a stand and hood built but since I'm in no hurry it wouldn't be to hard. Its a complete walk around tank so you can see in on all sides.
How is acrylic as far as maintenance? I've heard it scratches way easy. My last tank was glass so I have absolutely no experience with acrylic!
Quick update the guy just reposted the add with a custom wooden hood also added to the tank for the same price of $300. Its about a 2 hour drive from where I'm at but I really think I want this thing.

truefishman

ya that's a great deal although you have to remember hou have to purchase other major equipment and counting in order to manage a 300g.i have never had any personal experiences with acrylic tanks before but from what i understand is that they are prone to scratches and glass is more of a breakable(cracking)kind of tank.

zsalinas

Well Ive had a tank before granted it was only a 72 gal. Although I had to set that one up also. I'm not in a hurry till the new house is bought so I would be able to buy all that stuff over time. I just know a 72 wasn't anywhere near big enough for me. I still have about 100 lbs of lr so thats a start right there. lol. I'm to indecisive lol

fishkid13

I would totally get it, that is a great deal.
Acrylic is good sense you don't have to worry so much about cracking if you are going to get it drilled. It doest shatter like glass does. The down side is you have to watch what you are cleaning the windows with sense it scatches easy, but that is just a small price to pay and really no problem at all unless you bang the rock around when you are moving things around. Hope this helps and p.s get it, we need anough big tank on this fourm.

zsalinas

Ok, I'm going to call on it tomorrow. I'm excited. Its a far drive but worth it. It already has the overflow built in the middle. Even if I have to store it for a bit I'm ok with it. I don't think I can pass this one up. Thanks for all your guys help. I'm sure I'll have a million more questions to help me set it up. If anybody has anymore info let me know! All is appreciated. Thanks again.