Found a fish today in live rock, what is it?

symphony

I have a new 28G nano the sand and water have been in for 48 hours, the rock for 24. I came home today to find a fish swimming in my tank. Thought at first it looked like a little eel, but looks like it might be a blenny? I have attatched a photo, it's black with blue around the edge of the tail, little white fins by the gills, likes to hide in the rock, which is how I guess it came to be in my tank. Will it live through the cycling of the tank, and what should I feed it?

star27624

Nice find. Keep watch on your water parameters and have plenty of water ready to do water changes! Test at least daily, several times if possible.
Ammonia can burn a fish's gills, so not a good thing.

dustyboy316

I've never heard of a fish hitchhiker. That's awesome though,. hope the little guy makes the cycle.
Was all of the rock cured?

symphony

I have 5 gallons on standby for water changes now, I will keep a real close eye on levels. thanks. I hope he makes it, he's a funny little guy, can't believe he made it home in a rock with no water, and through a pretty harsh temp. drop last night. Got a new heater today, didn't think I'd need a big heater with all the reports of nano's overheating, but mine is staying pretty cold 76-74. with the new heater it's already up to 77.

makoshrk2

I call BS. How does a fish make it that long without water, and in cold temps. Biologically immpossible. Did you get the rock from a store, or order it and have it delivered.

symphony

I have no idea how it made it with out water, this is my first tank, I got rock from two different stores, all supposed to be cured. The only thing I can think of is, I was looking for particular shapes, I was buying so much rock that the guy at one store took a peice from one of their sale tanks. I didn't ask him to do that, he offered and I liked the rock so I took it. There was a crab on the bottom he took off, but seemed like nothing else in the tank that I saw, or that was labled for sale. this store is approx. 15min. from my house. The rock was in newspaper and in a cooler in a box, then directly in the tank, but I bet it was out of the water a total of at least 30-40 min. I was not planning to put even crabs/shrimp in the tank until its cycle is done, I don't want to kill any fish if I can help it. I have no reason to lie, I am new and using this site for help, not to be called a liar, I would not make stuff up and waste peoples time, I have better things to do.

J

janestar

There must have been some water pocket or something in the rock that the fish tucked away in. That is pretty cool. Sounds like a strong fighter, and survivor. I bet it might just make it through your cycle.

symphony

I'm sorry like I said, new to saltwater, like 48 hours new. I took a better pic. not sure what cyano is. this is the rock he is living in, not the same rock that came from the tank in the store though. it has some mushroom looking things on it purple with green.

shyfish

Hi,
It is not cyano on the rock its red coraline.
When I moved last Aug. My royal gramma was missing. When I unloaded the rock, there she was in one of the little holes in the rock, it had filled with water and she hitched a ride to her new home in her favorite rock.
I don't know what this little guy is, but he loved his rock and he wasn't letting it leave without him.
What a great find.
When I bought my lawnmower Blenny, the LFS couldn't catch him. He lept hiding in a rock. They were trying to shake the rock and everything else to get him out. I told them to not srtress him so much. I bought the rock with the Blenny in it.
When a fish loves a rock, what can you do!

teresaq

looks like a flame tail. Very cool. I also saw some green zoos, looks like you got some very nice rock. I would keep up on water changes and keep that ammonia down so your very cool hitchhickers have a chance. I loved my flame tale. lots of personality.
T

symphony

Thanks so much, I am thinking he is a flame tale by the pictures. water is very clear this morning, levels are great, temp perfect.

Originally Posted by symphony
http:///forum/post/2943054
I'm sorry like I said, new to saltwater, like 48 hours new. I took a better pic. not sure what cyano is. this is the rock he is living in, not the same rock that came from the tank in the store though. it has some mushroom looking things on it purple with green.
Wow, those look like some zoos! You really lucked up with this rock, getting a free fish and two zoo polyps!