Found a goodie.. need advise!!!

dapak83

Hey guys... I just found an old 10 gal tank i think it is....i have a 55 gal DT ... i was thinking what can i use this little tank for.. what are my options.. i was thinking a mini sump or something.. please let me know to my possibilities!

michaeltx

I would say a refugium a sump really needs to be bigger to be able to effectively house the equipment.
Mike

dapak83

i am not sure what the difference is between the 2.. still a newbie at this... and what kinda equipment does a sump have to hold... the only think i want out of my DT is the skimmer... nothing else really takes up that much room.. and ofcourse i cant take the PH out

michaeltx

well a sump usually houses all the mechanical filtration and heaters, skimmers, pumps, and most have a smaller area of the sump for macro algaes acting as a refugium.
a refugium is basically a safe haven for pods and other critters that would normally be eaten by the fish with a pump pumping water back into the main tank just like a sump only smaller.
Mike

dapak83

hmmmm is it possible for me to take this small tank and part it in to 2 and keep the skimmer in one part and a refugim in the other... i have a fluval filter too can i incorporate that in to it some how to like use the filters pump to pump the water back?

dapak83

i didnt alot of research ..... and now i know more about what i want rather then being clueless as i was b4.....wow!
any ways.... ok i got a 10 gal... 20 in long 11in high tank.....
what i need is for some one more experience then I .. designe a fuge for me in which if possible i can store my skimmer!
and exactly what i will need to do to make this happen!
ive seen a certin fellow help alot of people with the design .. i would love some help aswell!

reefforbrains

You need to narrow it down if your waiting for a particular individual, as the rest of us are waiting to chime if you want that persons design.

dapak83

Chime on friends.... the more help i can get the better... more designs = more choices and who doesnt like that... and i was speakin in general... there were alot of ppl gettin help from signguy so i guess he knows alot about it... but the more help the marrier....
i m trying to build it by sunday!

earlybird

signguy is the man when it comes to sumps and fuges. I'd use the 10 as a qt and go with something larger for your sump/fuge.

sturner

I have a 10g sump/refugium I split it into three sections, one for the skimmer, one for the fuge/heater and one for the return pump. It works great for my 29g tanks! I have just added the second tank to it and now I have to adjust my top off level line so I don't have a flood if the lights go out!
It does a good job of hiding the equipment.

earlybird

Originally Posted by sturner
I have a 10g sump/refugium I split it into three sections, one for the skimmer, one for the fuge/heater and one for the return pump. It works great for my 29g tanks! I have just added the second tank to it and now I have to adjust my top off level line so I don't have a flood if the lights go out!
It does a good job of hiding the equipment.
Ditto. I have one for my 29 as well. Wish I could add another tank but I don't have the room. I think a 10 on a 55 is to small though.

dapak83

wont it still be better then the canister i have?
cuz that canister i didnt clean for a while... and i got a nitrate problem now so i cleand it last night and i found the tank so i fuigered i can use it u know!