Found a Mantis Shrimp

dpdiver

Well I was feeding my tank and then I seen it, The unmistakable eyes of the dreaded mantis. He swam around for a second and I got a good look at him. He was 1 inch long, emerald green quite pretty really but he must make an exit from my display tank. LOL and ofcourse he lives in the largest rock I have also...
And the hunt has begun!
Milt- Mantis hunter!

leigh

Hey, if you know which rock he's in then it's really quite easy to get him out. Just remove the rock, put it in a bucket. I found that if i sloshed the bucket/rock around a bunch it t--'d them off and mine swam right out...grab the rock, and you're left with a mantis in a bucket. If that doesn't work, many people have success with flushing the rock with freshwater or seltzer water. Obviously this is not so good for the rock itself, but will likely do the trick if the first method doesn't work. But remove the rock ASAP while you know which one he's in, lest he decide to move his home sometime soon--it's really the rock chase that'll drive you nuts!
Good luck!
-leigh

Atleast you have completed half the battle. I have one bigger than that in my tank and have not been able to find him since my initial sighting. He already got one fish and last night he stressed another to the poing of taking a leap out of the tank. very disheartening. Good luck with the hunt.
Rich

dpdiver

Thanks leigh,
I will try that this evening. Right now I am trying to finish up a english paper.... Going back to college at 32, I must be on drugs!
LOL
Milt

susies

Hi
I just read this morning about someone catching a mantis in his tank with a 16 oz pop bottle. Cut the bottle in half about 1/3 of the way down, invert the top and put it inside the bottom half. Then put some krill in the bottle and place it next to where the mantis has been spotted. They said it only took about 20 minutes before he climbed in. Remove it carefully!
Good luck!
Susie

dpdiver

Thanks all,
I hung the rock over a bucket of water and let him find his own way out of the rock, took about 15 min

leigh

sweet--congrats on the mantis--and congrats on being back in college :D my closest friends on campus (i'm a grad student) are the 'old guys'...they're funnier and party way harder...and you always know their wife will post bail if worst comes to worst :D

Please feel free to ship Mr. Mantis to me! They are super cool beautiful intelligent critters and I enjoy having them in my refugium! :)